Networking Problems

Guest rpgsearcherz

Guest rpgsearcherz

Lets see if I can explain this. I will start w/ my software first.

One PC running Windows XP Pro(I want it to be host)

One laptop running Mandrake 9.0(Want to be Client)

When I hook up the two pc's together, it shows them as both being "networked" in terms of it not saying "XX Has been disconnected", and all of the lights being on(link/act, power, and 100(??)). Now, though, I can not get the two computers networked together. I am new at Linux and have no idea what I'm doing, so any help would be appreciated. Aalso, if at all possible, I would like to have my Win XP pc host internet sharing w/ the laptop as host(because my laptop isnt good and so its not used very often). Thanks everyone.

P.S. If you need more information about my problems or anything else, just ask. also, if you have any instant messangers, and would rather help me there, heres my info

email- rpgsearcherz@screaminet.com

AIM rpgsearcherz

MSN- raptor99_rulez@hotmail.com

yahoo- rpgsearcherz

Lets see if I can explain this.  I will start w/ my software first.

One PC running Windows XP Pro(I want it to be host)

One laptop running Mandrake 9.0(Want to be Client)

When I hook up the two pc's together, it shows them as both being "networked" in terms of it not saying "XX Has been disconnected", and all of the lights being on(link/act, power, and 100(??)).  Now, though, I can not get the two computers networked together.

I have no idea what _networked_ computer means to you but here we go. If you want to share files you have to run SAMBA on your Linux box. If you want to run SSH (or Telnet) you need to run the diamon on your Linux box and need Putty, a free client for Win32 machines. Other than that I have no idea .. what do you mean by _networked_?

Aalso, if at all possible, I would like to have my Win XP pc host internet sharing w/ the laptop as host(because my laptop isnt good and so its not used very often).  Thanks everyone. 

Run the Internet Connection Sharing wizard on your Windows machine. Then, tell Linux to connect to a DHCP server. This can be done from the MCC->Internet&Network-> ...

Good luck

MOttS

Are the two computers plugged into a hub with straight-thru cables? If not and they are directly linked with one network cable, it needs to be a crossover. Did you intend to share files between them, or just the internet connection?

Give us as much info as you can friend! And welcome to linux!

Guest rpgsearcherz

Okay, Im running into more problems, I cant even get the Linux pc to recognize the network. It reads the card and all, but wont connect, and I think maybe I just am not setting it up right. As for DCHP, how do I set that up? And, also, do I need to set up the workgroup name in windows as a certain name? or, is there some way I can specify the workgroup in Linux?

For Linux to access the net

Open the Mandrake Control Center (MCC). You can open it up by typing 'drakconf' in a console. Now clic the 'internet and network' icon. You should see two or three options there. One of them has a wizard that will ask you some questions (Internet by ADSL, Cable, LAN, etc .. ). Answer those questions and you should be all set.

Access your Windows files from Linux

Here is a nice link for that. http://www.tweakhound.com/mdk9/mdk9net.htm

Access your Linux files from Windows

You need to run SAMBA on your Linux box. If you follow the link upthere (tweakhound), you'll see they install 'drakwizard'. Install it. This will add another icon to your MCC. Once this is done, clic it and you'll see a wizard to set Samba up on your Linux box. But personally I don't like this wizard that much. I suggest you to go to the following link and read a bit. http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/connect/csamba.html

HTH

MOttS

Guest rpgsearcherz

I have already set up Samba AND the LAN thing in Internet and Networking. It is still not working, which is what I do not understand. I have spent the last week looking for help, and people keep sending me the same website and same information, but I keep redoing everything, and nothing works, still. Maybe I am still doing something wrong?

What did you use to setup networking sharing on the XP machine? Did you use the Home Network Wizard? Did you setup the Linux machine for DHCP? How is XP accessing the internet? dial-up? ethernet?

Guest rpgsearcherz

I used Home Networking Wizard. It is connecting to the net via 56k(dialup). I have the net shared w/ my other XP pc. In linux, i tried to do DCHP, but I couldnt figure out how to get to it. Do you have any instant messangers? So we can communicate faster/ easier?

most of the time I'm at work and I prefer to keep discussions on the board so that others can see the process and resolutions in the case they have similar issues. And also so that in case I'm wrong someone here can correct me ;-)

if you open up Mandrake Control Center (you can run it from a console with MCC) and go into internet then click on internet wizard you should be able to easily set it up from there.

one thing that my help is if you post the output from: ifconfig (run it as root) and also possibly your /etc/resolv.conf file.

Guest rpgsearcherz

to post those outputs, do i just go into Konsole and type

"ifconfig" and then copy / paste, and then go back into it and type

"/etc/resolv.conf"??

for ifconfig just use a console

/etc/resolv.conf is a file, you can either open it with your favorite text editor or you can open a console and do: cat /etc/resolv.conf and post the ouput.

Guest rpgsearcherz

i typed "ifconfig" into Konsole and GNOME, and it said

"bash: ifconfig: command not found"

The "resolv.conf" says

"# search localdomain

search localdomain

# ppp temp entry"

you have to be root for ifconfig

open the console, type su and hit enter, then type in your root password when prompted, then run ifconfig

after ifconfig has run type exit and hit enter to exit out of root.