firewall and DCC chat

hippocampe

Whenever I need to do a DCC chat on IRC, I need to disable the firewall because the port numbers used by DCC chat are random do I canot specify a single port to be allowd in guarddog.

I am not satisfied with the idea of disabling firewall just for DCC though.

There should be a better way to do this

Guys, any ideas?

• 6 months later...

Well, mIRC uses a specific port range (you can actually change the range) for DCC Send, and I think if you setup your firewall to allow those ports to pass, you should be fine. For me, if I can't send files through DCC, I can't DCC Chat as well.

hippocampe, which firewall are you using? better yet, which front end (gui)? if its shorewall, firestarter, guraddog, and the like, its very similar to zonealarm, as far as denying/allowing ports. if your using iptables script, then that a bit out of my realm for now. please provide more info, so we can help you better.

There are so called modules (netfilter-modeuls if I'm right) that let you do ftp, ... which use random ports. If your program uses a standard/general protocol, there MAY be a module for this ,else als MAYBE :), but I would think less chance. don't have much time now: serach for netfilter or iptables. There are quite some modules.

Not any good for you, but maybe other people: There are modules for passive ftp and H323. That are the ones I know of.