Lilo and Windows

Lagrosse

While on the subject of LILO could anyone help me out.

I've been dual booting my machine for awhile now (both single HDD and with 2) with few problems. But girlfriend's machine is behaving strangely.

We have 98 installed on a partitioned Maxtor and after installing 9.1 AND 8.1 on another HDD it 'sees' the Windows in the Maxtor(hdb) but fails to point to the right file (whichever one groinkicks Windoze). LILO is pointing to COMMAND.COM in hdb1 but it comes back as an error when trying to boot. Perhaps the problem lies in that 98, during install, created a small FAT16 file in the first 63 sectors and THAT may be where the problem lies, but I've had no joy in trying to change where LILO points to; have tried both hdb1 and hdb2.

Any ideas.

ooops

She got tired of having to switch the hard drive jumpers and reformatted it.

But will post it when we reinstall.

I apologize for the bother at this time.

She's got a Compaq 5340.

We got most of the 'impaqed' junk out of it with a clean and wipe and a pure Win98 install. Upped the systems resources from an optimist 57% (just loaded and sitting idle) to over 86% system resources free and actually using somethings in it. But the BIOS is the only thing we haven't been able to UNcompaq. Not a very friendly environment most of the time.

We'll get it reloaded soon. I had scattered LILO on my Mandy 8.1 install and had to reload. BUT now, for the first time, I can get net connected through our network. So there is hope for me and Linux.

Glad I found this board, too. I've been fighting Mandy 6.5 (no modem support) and 8.1 (no sound) for over a year and a half; but I refuse to let my technical ignorance get in the way of tenacity (read thick skull?)

Thanks again. I'll be back.