Networking linux machines

Technonoid

This is something I've never done before. :shock:

I have a PIII 500 setup ( or trying to setup ) as a linux file server.

The network is fine, and is working. Cause I can ssh into it no problem.

However, when I setup a share. I can see it on the client machine, I can read a little file that I have on the share. But, when I try to copy a bigger file say 128k, it wont. Using Konqueror to do the copying. I haven't tried reading or copying a larger file from the server yet.

I have exports setup for the share as:

/home/serfive/shrd *(rw,all_squash,sync)

Which the rw should mean Read Write access.

Note: I am on a win machine now. I don't have a compatible modem for linux yet. Lost the one I had to lightning. :( So I have to type the config files.

I also have and had the host.deny and host.allow setup for just for the client to access it. In the .deny file I had portmap:all which denies everyone. I think. And in the .allow I had the address of the client, which should allow. I think it does, cause I can see it in Konqeror.

Any Ideas ?

Do I need to do something to the client ?

TIA

Tech

Oh, the server is running MDK 9.0 the client is running J.A.M.D.

Ok, I got rid of JAMD and installed MDK 9.0 on client. Now, I'm running the same on both.

I found what I thought to be a good HOWTO on the MDK 9.1 disk that says I should have portmap, lockd,mountd,statd, and rquotad running. And I do on both puters.

NOTE: I can still ssh into the server I'm working on.

I have tried not puting anything in host.deny and host.allow, which the HOWTO said I should be able to mount the share. I do have a directory that I created in /mnt for the share.

I also made for sure that I was putting the correct ip for the client in the servers host.allow.

I'm lost. :?

Ideas ?

TIA

Tech