how do i restart fluxbox from the commandline?

ramfree17

occassionally my cursor will lock out and i resort to killing fluxbox and restarting it. not a pleasant proposition if i have lots of windows open. i have been poking around on the menu file and it seems the restart option is an internal command. anybody know how i can use it in a commandline to force flux to restart itself? thanks.

ciao!

well restart is an option in the menu so i would take a look at the menu file for the command. more important though is that you should not have cursor lock like that...even occasionally. i would do a little investigation such as trying some other wm and if it occurs even with those or a DE i would say it is a small symtom of what could eventually be a larger problem. (hardware likely)

I agree with sarah, it could be a deeper problem, I don't believe it is related directly with fluxbox.

To answer your question, AFAIK a command to restart fluxbox apart of the menu one doesn't exist, at least in my fluxbox version (0.1.10). On their home page you can read that in the soon-to-come versions, they are planning to add the possibilty of creating a key binding for 'restart'. But that feature isn't available at present time :(

have you thought in the possibility of restarting the mouse controller (probably "imwheel") instead of restarting the X server? (maybe restarting just the mouse will save you from having to restart everything, I'm not sure if that can be done at all)

i agree that this might be something deeper so ill try using openbox (scape said its much better so ill give it a whirl), but flux has already spoiled me. :#: right now im looking for a short term solution. i dont think i have imwheel installed since i only have a standard 2-button mouse.

static, i am using ctrl+alt+backspace to kill flux. i just wish you can restart flux from an existing terminal inside it. like what you said, the menu is the only place where that command is found. :(

ciao!

doesnt that start a new instance? when i execute that it complains that a session is already running and if im really sure i need to delete the lockfile. maybe when i dont have anything else to do ill try following it. :#:

anyway, i tried icewm and also got the mouse lockup. one curious thing is that when i booted my machine tonight i was greeted by a messagebox saying my hardware has changed, mouse was removed, psaux was added and i was given the opportunity to configure my mouse device.

is my mouse failing? it only locks on the wm sessions but when i drop down to cli i can move it the cursor(gpm). thanks!

ciao!

thanks. ill take that into consideration. but heeding the advice of sarah and garu, i bought a generic ps2 mouse to replace my old one (its getting kludgy anyway) and hope it really is the mouse only. i still havent encountered lockups. one thing i realize is lockups only happen when im compiling+updating updates via rsync+updating cvs. maybe im doing too many things at once? :#:

anyway, consider gpm dead. :twisted:

ciao!