Mandrake 9.1 and my laptop

mtweidmann

There always seems to be a post about how awful MDK is, and how it won't on install on that person's machine. Rarely (if ever) do you see a post saying how truely wonderful an install was. So......

I installed MDK on my laptop this week, so it now dual boots with WinXP. First had to defrag my NTFS to make re-paritioning easier then it was on with the install. Laptop booted straight off the DVD (curtesy of Linux Format) and installer worked perfectly. I did hit F1 to give me extra options as I knew I would have to pass -noauto for it to work.

After that everything worked fine, MDK 9.1 really can resize NTFS patitions without braking them. Every single piece of hardware was correctly detected. Everything except for the modem was configured correctly and worked straight from boot. The modem needed me to get a third party driver, which with the RPM installed had the modem working with no further work on my part. The update tools worked pefectly, even it did take aaaaaages to download all the updates.

It took me 44mins (from looking at my watch) from loading the DVD to have a working system. Which had working DVD/CD-RW, floppy, configured network, working sound, GUI, office suite, MSN messenger, some games....... My one complaint is it that the installer didn't get ACPI to work, I had to come here for that.

Thank you Mandrake, one very satisfied user. :)

PS To the Mods:

If this is the wrong forum then please move it, I coundln't decide what to put it under.

Sony FR130 laptop

2000+XP Athlon, 40gig HD, NVDIA something, Windblows XP, MDK 9.1.

Could not get MDK to resize the partitions...oh well. MDK has the lion's share and like the others above, no major problems (annoying touchpad mouse problem, but installing a USB mouse fixed that).

hi,

Get a motherboard from my office, without any doc nor driver. It was from a ACER, PIII 733, with sound and network on it.

Absolutely no problem with Mdk 9.0 and 9.1.

How can improve my knowledge about Linux if it is so easy ?

I had to install Win98 too and had a lot of trouble finding all the Win drivers and make all that work correctly ! But as usual, with Win i didn't learn anything. Just remove a driver, reboot, retry, pray, reinstall and reboot until by luck all that become more or less stable.

Mdk is easier and faster to install !

roland

My one complaint is it that the installer didn't get ACPI to work, I had to come here for that.

Well, Mandrake can't enable ACPI by default, since many machines die if you try ACPI on them.

If you had to do anything besides enabling ACPI on reasonable hardware (Compaq laptops are known to give problems, and in some cases you must recompile the kernel with a custom dsdt table etc etc), then you may want to post the details here and/or in Mandrake bugzilla so someone can look at fixing it.