TuxKart

Guest toxy

Hello all,

Resplendant with my 3d grapgics hardware acceleration, I downloaded TuxKart from this very site(my favourite linux helpsite).

tuxkart-0.2.0-3mdk.athlon.rpm is the exact file name. I downloaded the athlon version cos I have an athlon 1900.

However, when I try to install it I get....

libGLcore.s0.1 is needed by tuxkart blah blah etc.

I have gooled for this one, and indications are that this lib is related to NVida graphics cards and drivers. Those of you with good memories will remember from yesterday that I have a ATI Radeon 8500LE.

Anyone got this going with a Radeon?

Is there summink obvious I have missed?

Do I need to download a different RPM?

Should I have an Athlon Kernel for this version?

THanks again in advance for any help. Looking at it on the web, my 2 girls will go ape for this game. I'm trying to educate them away from the 'other' OS....

Cheers,

Tox

Ta for the reply. Have you got nvida or radeon though? Cos the error I got is looking for summink that seems to be associated with nvida stuff, which I aint got.

One question, the athlon rpm's...... are they for any athlon system, or for athlon-rebuilt kernals? I have an athlon, but haven't rebuilt my kernal.

From my understanding the basic kernal from MDK is slightly Intel biased.

From my understanding it means the rpm itself was compiled for the Athlon instruction set. It shouldn't matter what the kernel was compiled for. Processor optimisation should only affect performance/efficiency not how it functions. There are of course exceptions, you can have areas of code that only get compiled if certain compiler options are set. I think in this case it shouldn't make any difference what type of kernel you are running.

Guest zenhues

I googled about the error, and found it was something about how the rpm was made, most likely on a machine with the nvidia card. The information I got was to intall it with --nodeps, and it works fine for me (the athlon build).

I could be completely wrong, or have gotten the wrong advice. It does work, though.

Thanks,

Rich

If i ever need an RPM or a dependency like the one you need i go to www.rpmseek.com ans search for files providing 'libGLcore.s0.1' or whatever it may be.

james

That tuxcart one is mine, 'libGLcore.s0.1' is because i have a nvidia card so it used the nvidia headers (should have built it before installing nvidia drivers so it would use mesa instead) .

I think though that it asks for 'libGLcore.s0.1' but it is not actually needed.

Can you try installing with "urpmi --allow-nodeps tuxkart-0.2.0-3mdk.athlon.rpm" it will ask to install without checking dependencies, go yes.

then see if it runs with the radeon (i assume you have direct rendering working with your card? glxinfo -> direct rendering: Yes).

If it doesn't work then sorry but it can't hurt to try(i take no responsibility if you monitor/computer/house/cat exploded due to a crappy rpm rebuild) :wink:

BTW if you are installing an rpm, just use urpmi, as in:

urpmi package.rpm

if the package is where you are giving the command, urpmi doesn't try to download it from anywhere (so it doesn't have to be in the database), it just assumes the one there is what you want, and resolves the dependencies that it finds in the .rpm package headers.

Since this one problem may be more related to the nvidia stuff, this may not apply.

But in short: urpmi rocks.