setting up network with config files

Guest c_m_f

Guest c_m_f

Today i've been trying to setup my network through mandrake control center. It just doesn't want to work, so what are the files i need to edit on both my compuiters (i'll explain my setup in a minute). Also does mandrake 9.1 auto use that zero conf thingy?

Right my setup, to computers, one connecting to the net (mdk 9.1 call it rubarb) with a normal dial-up modem and a second (mdk 9.1 XP call it custard) computer connected with a simple crossover cable.

I want the rubarb to share the internet connection it makes with the custard both in linux and windows, (where abouts in XP do you set it up to get IP address by DHCP? does anyone have a links to explain how to do this).

Also i want custard to have the local ip address of 192.168.0.2 rather than 192.168.0.253, how can i do this.

So if possible could some one help me out on this including all files i need to edit.

Thanks

I can help you with the XP setup. If i was at my linux box, I could help you with the linux setup, but I'm not, so...I'll do what I can right now and do more later if no one jumps in :-)

in XP: right click on "Network Neighborhood" choose "Properties", this should bring up a "Network Connections" window (or something similar), look for "Local Area Connection" (you should only have one). Right click on that, choose "Properties", this should bring up a window titled "Local Area Connection Properties". Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click the Propreties button. This will bring up a window called "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties", you should now see a little round fill in box thingy with "Obtain IP Adress Automatically", make sure that box is selected and not the "Use the following IP address" one.

as for on Linux, first off I believe you'll need a dhcp server installed...as for the configuration files, I can't remember those right now :-/

Guest c_m_f

well setting all of that up in XP was pretty easy :D (never thought I'd say that!)

but now bloddy through linux, so it seems that its a problem in teh setup on the client rather than ther server.

Also what comamnds say what your IP address is in linux and win?

in linux, open a terminal, su to root and type:

ifconfig

in windows, open an ms-dos/command prompt and type:

ipconfig /all

the /all will list all internet connections...

oh, and i think what you want to do in linux is open /etc/rc.conf (as root) and change eth0="whatever it has" to eth0="dhcp"

and also take a look at /etc/resolv.conf, it needs to have your DNS servers listed in it...which you can find out from the ipconfig /all in windows. resolv.conf should have (most likely) 2 lines, like:

nameserver some.ip.address.here

Guest c_m_f

i checked ipcofig in windows and all seems fine, except i cant ping linux from windows, but can windows from linux.

This is what win says when i try to ping the linux:

Reply from 192.168.0.1: Destination port unreachable

And can i make a certain machineget a specific IP address, so the clients address will be 192.168.0.2?

Also i just noticed that linux will now play net sharing wise, and gets an ip address (but 192.168.0.252 instead) but i get a similair error as windows when i try to ping the DHCP server.

From 192.168.0.1 icmp_seq=1 Destination Port Unreachable

• 2 weeks later...

check your firewall settings.

I find the easiest way is to get everything working WITHOUT the firewall.

Once its working you can turn it on.

Mdk uses shorewall... the best debugging commands from a root prompt are

shorewall clear

shorewall start

Once your sure it works and it must be your firewall you don't end up changing everything at once and going in circles.

Additionally you can check your routing with

linux route

win$ route print