XFCE4 RPMs for Mandrake 9.1?

Guest stodge

Guest stodge

I can't get this to work. When I try to login with XFCE4 selected, I end up with twm. No visible sign of errors that I can tell. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

* bump *

Hey now, has anyone tried XFce4 yet ? It looks good from what I can gather at the web site. But, does anyone have it working in 9.1 ?

I don't have time to work on it, thats if it doesn't work.

I'm not a KDE or Gnome fan. I use mostly fluxbox, and icewm when I do want some candy.

Tech

I just got it up. I had problems starting it from kdm. I followed the instructions on http://clevername.homeip.net/xfce4/ , but when I choose xfce4 it loaded icewm. I don't have a solution to kdm so i killed it and started from the command line.

I just started using linux a month ago and don't have too much experience w/ all of the wm and desktops, but xfce4 does seem a lot more responsive than kde or gnome.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the rc2 rel. last night. As i allready had the old version 3.8 (the one that comes with MD 9.1 ) installed, the XFce entry in KDM was present. I replaced the contents of the XFce file in the /etc/X11/wmsession.d dir with the new content . This was not exactly by the book but it seems to work fine.

I havent had much time to test this wm yet, but it looks extremly good, loads fast (at least until i find out how to load applications at startup. The ~/Desktop/Autostart didnt seem to work for me) and it also has this root-menu accessed by left clicking and configured via editing a textfile.

Seems like fluxbox (wich i've used for a half year now) is getting some competition.

mmaker is the executable i believe. i opened up MCC, went into software removal, searched for the rpm and just looked at the list of files. if mmaker doesn't work check there.

i think you have to run it has mmaker xfce4 or something...you have to specify what the menu is for.

Today I installed XFce4 - and I like it very much. It looks really nice, is very fast (Opera starts within a second), the filemanager xffm is exactly what I needed, gnome and kde apps which I use don't have any problems - what can I say - I'll leave kde behind!

For those who had problem installing it. I used the rpms from here:

http://clevername.homeip.net/xfce4/

and followed the instruction: creating a 19xfce4 file, copy it to /etc/X11/wmsession.d/, copy the startxfce4 from /usr/local/bin to /usr/bin/, and edited the file /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc.

After installing the menumaker rpm, I ran mmaker on a console:

mmaker -v XFce4

Now left clicking on the desktop brings up the applications menu.

The only weird problem I have is: when I start kde, I got two panels (the kde and xfce4) and the xfce taskbar - and kde is complaing about it. Don't know what it is ...

might be a bug...i would report it to the xfce people. i noticed after i installed xfce, when i went to log out of gnome to start up xfce for the first time, gnome closed out but then it went straight into xfce. on the other hand, maybe it has something to due with the RPMs that guy built...dunno

no sure what the deal is...but it seems to run whenever a X session is running :?

I just got it up.  I had problems starting it from kdm.  I followed the instructions on http://clevername.homeip.net/xfce4/ , but when I choose xfce4 it loaded icewm.  I don't have a solution to kdm so i killed it and started from the command line.

I just started using linux a month ago and don't have too much experience w/ all of the wm and desktops, but xfce4 does seem a lot more responsive than kde or gnome.

Sounds like you didn't make the "startxfce4" file executable. "chmod 755 /usr/bin/startxfce4" should fix it.