Some keyboard questions

rlemp

Hi to everyone!

I'm quite new with Linux and run Mandrake 9.1. So far so good, nearly no problems but one: the keyboard.

I use a Compaq Internet Keyboard (18 keys). The primary layout is set to Swedish and the variant to 'basic' (tried even the variant 'nodeadkeys'. As a second layout I use Russian (phonetic), which works fine so far.

Using the Swedish keyboard layout has the problem, that I can't use some signs as I would like to do. So I played a bit around with xmodmap and modified the xmodmaprc file and copied it to my /home directory. There I start it manually every time after startup.

Question no. 1: Where do I have to put that file in order to run it after startup automatically (like in DOS in Autoexec.bat)?

I had the problems that the tilde ~, the ü (udiaeresis) and the Ü (Udiaeresis) didn't show up at all. Usually, under Win 98SE, it comes by pressing the diaeresis key ¨, which then stops and waits for the next character to be typed and voila, I have an ü or an Ü or any other character needing a diaeresis sign. That didn't work at all, whatever I tried, so I re-defined the xmodmaprc file and put the ü and the Ü on the free places at j and J respectively (in combination with AltGr and Shift-AltGr). It's not that comfortable, but it works so far. The tilde ~ also appears (as a free-standing character) now after renaming it to asciitilde.

Question no. 2: How do I have to modify above mentioned file in order to make the ´, `, ~, ¨ and ^ work for me?

But, what's really annoys is: When I want to write spanish or french texts, I can't get the ´ and the ` and the tilde ~ and the ^ bring to work. Even these characters I need to have in combination with vowels or the tilde ~ above an n for spanish texts.

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards from Sweden.

/Reinhard

It really depends on how you start X, I think. Here's a direct link to some Docs about it:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/docs/xwin/xset.html

There's also gcharselect and kcharselct applets, too, but they may be kind of clunky for you to use.