possible motherboard error? [solved]

Urza9814

Ok, so here's where I'm at. Last night there was a power outage, my computer died. Tried to boot it back up, and I got an error saying "Kernel panic - not syncing: CPU context corrupt". But Windows would still boot. I googled it a bit, and they said to try booting with the nomce flag. No luck. Froze at the same place, just didn't give that message. Tried booting Mandriva One, same problem. So, I swapped everything over to my old motherboard (same CPU, same RAM, same drives), and it booted up fine. Swapped everything back, couldn't get it to POST even. But it's still booting fine on the other motherboard. So, is my motherboard possibly shot? And if so, why would it boot Windows but not Linux (Well, it would before I messed with it. As I said, now it won't do anything.) I hope not though...this was a $100 mobo and only a couple months old.

I swapped everything over to my old motherboard (same CPU, same RAM, same drives), and it booted up fine. Swapped everything back, couldn't get it to POST even. But it's still booting fine on the other motherboard.

If you're using all the same components, including the PSU, then this does sound like a MB issue.

Ehh crap. I'm still running on 3.5GB 184-pin DDR RAM, 500GB of IDE hard drives, and socket 939. All of which, it appears, are obsolete. This is gonna be one heck up an upgrade. Until then, I guess I'll be having a rather unstable system, because to go back to my old mobo means going back to my old ATi graphics card, which didn't play too well with Linux.

Edited by Urza9814

wow, i am SOOOO looking for a valid excuse to upgrade (of course with a 5600X2 and 4GB ram and 1TB HD I dont have a LOT to whine about)

but here is a GREAT deal:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=2417

SLIGHTLY more than your $100 MB ($139) and you get a dual core, and if I am not mistaken this MB will ALSO support the Quad Core Phenom (check that with AMD's sight 1st)

If you want cheaper they have a MB/CPU combo for $89 buts thats an AMD 3600.

I have bought THOUSANDS of $$$$ in stuff from TG.

They are extremely reliable and fast.

One solution however, Linux is MUCH more sensitive to certain inconsistencies, could it be your Power supply instead of your MB?

just a suggestion.

j

Who cares if it's old or new? I don't really, but it's the problem of having to go back to my old graphics card, which makes my system quite unstable.

And there's no warranty, I got it off e-bay. Normally I never buy anything off e-bay, 'cause usually newegg is cheaper and comes with a nice warranty, but I was given $100 in gift cards for it, so that's what I got.

But it's OK, 'cause it's both my birthday and graduation in two weeks, so I suppose I can limp along on my old mobo until then. lol. But then I'm giving this thing a serious upgrade. It needs it. And hopefully this new mobo will last more than a couple months (this will be my 5th over the past 2 years)

Edited by Urza9814

oh wow, now I feel stupid. I thought my motherboard was dead, but it turns out it just needed a fresh blood sacrifice to power it's witchcraft-based northbridge!

Seriously though, I pulled it out, and gave it one last try...and it works. I put everything back exactly the way it was...and it works. Not even throwing the CPU sync error. It was either dust, magic, or the IDE cables. lol

So the moral is, if you get one of those CPU errors...rip everything out of your case, pull it all apart, and put it all back in. I tried that a couple times with just the CPU and RAM with no luck...I guess you gotta pull the entire mobo out of the case as well. lol.

Edited by Urza9814