texstars KDE 3.1.2 rpm's...

shen

Ok I have been trying to install some various rpm's off texstar... Everytime I try to install the KDE 3.1.2 rpms and the 3.1.2 libqt files I get a msg saying the files are corrupt or damaged. I added the site to urpmi as the site said to. I go into the MCC under Software management and click the install icon.. I do a search on all files from texstar and tell it to install the 3.1.2 kde rpm's and that is when I get the corupt or damaged files error..Anyone have any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

I always make a newkde directory, or a kde-version directory, download the files with gftp, and use urpmi to install. While others successfully do it the way you are describing, I have never had a good experience using MCC >sources. I did the texstar files earlier this week, with no problems at all.

Guest komox

I use urpmi for the whole thing..

no gftp or download first, urpmi finds it, including all dependecies, downloads to cache then installs it...I did texstars kde 3.1.2 without a hitch, no muss no fuss..

I never use the mcc/add software at all.

Ok I redownloaded the rpms..and have installed them I made a typo when entering textar into urpmi, I used the MCC to installed , not 100% sure on how to install with urpmi yet.....

Anyways all is installed and seems to be running great. Only issue that I can tell is my2 cd icons and floppy icons are gone. I have 1 for the DVD, CDRW and Floppy... I am assuming those show up due to supermount. Not 100% possitive but anyone have any suggestions on getting those back? I'd rather not have to mount them everytime I want to view a cd...

the icons on your desktop don't have to do with automount (well, supermount anyways). to add them back, just right click on your desktop and choose "add new [something]"....i forget what the option the allows adding of CD-ROMs and Floppy's is...

I tried adding that route but can't seem to get it to work right I'll see what I can figure out..

Also could someone point me to a good source to learn exactly how install rpm's from say texstar and such using urpmi... Man pages give some pretty good detail but I'd like more reading so I can become more familare with it.

Ok I tried the right click add new CD/DVD device I set the device to /dev/hdc which is the cdrom... it is mounted at /mnt/cdrom but when I click that icon I get an error message saying..

Could not mount device.    

Reported error was:

mount: only root can do that

You need to add your user to the group that has permission to mount, like a cdrom group. Go to MCC and look at the user section. You can assign permissions from there.

No dice on last suggestion...I stuck my user acct in the cdrom,cdwriter and root groups still no go... What I don't understand is this worked peachy before the update to 3.1.2 using texstar rpms and I wasn't in any of those groups... So in theory the group shouldn't matter I should still be able to access my cdrom and vdwriter like before.

somewhere in the kde config app there is an option for display mounted drives. if you right click on the desktop and go to properties it is an option in one of the menus. Is that enabled or disabled?

Earlier on you said you were unsure of how to install with urpmi

It's so easy

Before you start you might want to visit.

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/urpmiweb.php

and add sources. It'll give you the commands.

If you've done that, it's as easy as

su

then typing as root

urpmi programname

for example

urpmi galeon

It downloads and installs everything including dependencies. Or uses CD's if you have the souces enabled. I have cable internet and i love it. I'm one of those people who tries heaps of software.

Anyway goodluck

James

yeah I have all my entries in urpmi my main thing is now I just need to learn all the syntax..:) Once I do that I'll be more confortable with urpmi at the command line..:)

I did the install once via the gui and it seemed to lose my nifty cdrom icons on my desktop...Granted not a major issue but none the less usefull to me for now..