My new favorite web browswer

Guest BooYah

Guest BooYah

I tried lynx, but it was slow, screwed up the formatting, and I couldn't use my mouse.

Links is unbelievably fast, I can use the mouse, and looks damn nice. It's so nice browsing the web with out all the graphic junk (eg emoticons :wink: )

Any other hidden jewels I should know about? Some other recent discoveries of mine: gqview and git(but I think I like midnight commander better)

Thanks, it turnd out that links was intalled on my system, I've given it a try...

I was familiar with lynx, but sure links is a lot more usable. Problems so far:

* I have a website for students that requires login authrization. When I am clicking on the link, it does not ask for login name/password. Instead, I get "401 Authorization required". Login to mandrakeusers.org works just fine though.

* Mouse support seems to be limited. I couldn't highlight text on a page and then paste it in another application. That's gonna be a problem...

* Is it possible to setup links to open a home page on start up? I could do links www.yadayadayada.com, though. Not a big deal...

Don't forgt w3m, it's pretty smooth as well. Also check out surfraw from the 3rd install cd. Google and slashdot straight from the console with excellent search options you can slap on the CL. Having the most excellent google command is almost as cool as the search bar in mozilla. Also if you want to specify a homepage you can do so by making a simple script, (well not a script as there's just one command, but whatever you call it), that just contains the following -

------------------------------------------------

# Links with a homepage

/usr/bin/links yourhomepage.com

------------------------------------------------

Call it something like home, or you could call it links and move the old links executable out of your path. Chmod 0755 the file you just made and move it to your /bin, or /usr/local/bin and you have links with a homepage. This works for any other executables and whatnot that you want to futz with the options and have it be easy to call from the CL.

Just make sure if you call the new executable file "links" that when you are moving your old "links" command you keep it out of your path as well as keeping the path specified in the new executable valid. That is do not use /usr/bin/links as the path as that will still be in your $PATH. I'm sure you get the idea.

Links 2.1 is what I use for most browsing - I'm writing this with it now. Uusually in text mode but sometimes ya gotta have pictures so I use it in graphics mode too. Opera if I need java or SSL support like for online purchases, etc.

I really like the keyboard support in Links and Opera. Now if they'd just add keyboard support to Links in graphics mode...unfortunately, right now it only works well in text mode.

aru, have you tried elinks? I haven't messed with it yet myself, but it sounds cool, and a graphical mode for it is in the works. It's a fork of Links, and there's other forks of Links too, like Links-Hacked.

• 2 months later...

Just installed my newer Links2.1pre11(that's eleven). One can during ./configure:

enable javascript

enable graphics

with ssl

with x

Then during use one can choose or not: graphics, javascript. It's very fast, and small. With ssl, you can visit sites using encrypted password.

To copy text on a page, use shift then swipe what you want. Middle button click in your target software, eg Emacs, will paste it there. And I'm posting via text-mode Links.