nVIDIA and Redhat 9

Guest Graeme43

Guest Graeme43

Hi all, i need a HOWTO install nVIDIA drivers on Redhat Linux 9 :shock:

So far I've installed them, just need to edit the X86Config to change nv to nvidia

how do i change it? :shock:

Guest Graeme43

ok, in LILO boot it says Linux, a long number, linux bak, and dos

i want linux bak ( deafult kernel ) as deafult, or linux to be the old kernel

how do i change the deafult boot or go back to old kernell

ps: it works :D but i need / answered

1.) Go to:

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_di...y_ia32_1.0-4363

2.) Download:

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run

3.) From the command prompt as "root" type:

# /sbin/init 3

4.) This will kill X and drop you to just the Command Line, after that go to the "dir" where you downloaded the Nvidia Driver. And issue the following command as "root"

# sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run

5.) Follow the instructions, when it is done without error, do the following as root:

# vi /etc/X11/XF86Config

**You will need to edit the following section, hope you know how to use vi.**

Section "Device"

Identifier "Videocard0"

Driver "nv"

VendorName "Videocard vendor"

BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"

VideoRam 131072

Change the Driver "nv" to "nvidia".

Once your done with all of that, issue the following command as root.

# /sbin/init 5

6.) If you did everything right, NVIDIA splash screen will show up and you will be able to login and have FPS out the wazauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Have fun!

Oh,

Why do you want to go back to an old kernel? If it was a RH kernel, I would keep it because of bug & security fixes! If it's because you already had NVIDIA drivers working and lost them after the kernel update, that's normal.

When you upgrade or make any change to the kernel you will need to install he NVidia drivers again. Not hard, just one of the things you have to do.

If you are using the script that you download from nvidia (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run ) you don't need the exact driver for the kernel since if the kernel is not the same version as the one needed for the driver, the script will automatically download the driver source and recompile it for your kernel. That is, as long as you have the kernel sources installed and your internet running. I have done this for mandrake cooker kernel and mandrake multimedia kernel (whose drivers nvidia doesn't have).

I guess the problem would be if you have a dialup and you use a graphical ppp client such as kppp to connect to internet. Since going to command line will kill your X and therefore, your ppp client, that means that you have to use something like wvdial to connect to internet. In this case, downloading an older version of nvidia driver (the src.rpm) would be better if you just want your nvidia driver up and running.