Gnome 2.0.2 RPMs

Guest Gorgeus

Guest Gorgeus

Hello out there,

I currently run Mandrake 9.0 which has Gnome 2.0.1. I now would like to update to 2.0.2 Are there any RPMs for this, since I don't dare to compile the source myself. Has anyone done an this upgrade with sucess, and if yes, how ?

Also, where can I check on what version of Gnome I have? I only know that it has to be 2.0.1 because the Mandrake home page says so, but I can't find it anywhere within Gnome itself.

Thanks for any help

George

I saw your post on the gnome board as well, and MArks reply. I've searched every way I know how and have not found rpms for gnome2-2.0.2. There are libraries and other gnome pkgs with the 2.0.2 extension, but none for gnome2.

To find out what version you have, open a terminal window and type;

rpm -q gnome2

the output from this for me was gnome2-2.0.1-1mdk

:?: If I may ask, why the hurry? Is your gnome2 as crappy as mine :lol: Hehehe :.....ah...felt good to get that out... :cry:

Guest Gorgeus

Ok, thanks for the help anyway.

No, I like my Gnome 2, I see that it could need some polishing, but overall it's my favorite desktop. I hoped to see some of that polishing, but maybe ximian gnome is the way to go for me end user.

And besides, I'm a little bit one of those "have to have latest version" addicts ... :)

You know.. if you want the latest and newest thing Mandrake could offer, you could try cooker instead. It usually contains experimental packages that are geared toward the development for the next version of Mandrake. Note that it could break your system (they are experimental after all). Reading the cooker rpms, it is weird that gnome2-2.0.1-1mdk.noarch.rpm is only 3 kb. The other weird thing is that the version number for every gnome-* packages have version number from 2.0.1 to 2.0.8 or even higher.. Maybe mandrake just spread the packages out so they have different version name.. I dunno..

Anyway, try cooker. The link should be located at the left side of Mandrake home page.

Guest Gorgeus

I have tried Garnome (1.71) and it works for quite some time, but than it can't connect to some server (I think it's libranet) and simply because of that, installation stops.

And, I said, I'äm only a little "addict". I'm not going to grab some alpha snapshots of 2.1.

George