Network card problems

Guest daewoo

Guest daewoo

I am trying to replace a D-link wireless LAN card with a normal wired eternet card. I installed a D-link DFE-530tx (uses the via-rhine module). Once I got it installed, my dial up internet connection quite working. It would still connect via Kppp but none of the browsers/mail clients could connect. I ran the MCC config wizard and picked the dial up as my connection default, but it still wouldn't work.

I also need to force the card to 10 mb/s full duplex to work with the gateway I am using. Does anybody know how to do this or how to fix my connect problem?

I also tried installing a Linksys LNE100TX card. It caused the same internet connect probl;em (pretty sure the prob is on the software side).

Thanks!

Guest daewoo

Sorry, I muddied the water a bit on that. The only question I am really asking is if anybody knows how to set the configuration in the via-rhine module to force the card to 10 mb/s as opposed o trying to auto detect. The linksys card had the same module config options, but I don't know what any of them mean or how change them. Any help (including a link to where I could find the info) would be appreciated!!

First off, Welcome! I see this is your only post...

You're using dialup, but your gateway is over the ethernet LAN?? This could be the problem. The gateway will be through the ppp connection to the isp, not through the LAN's ethernet. Find out what your ISP's default gateway is and put that in instead... The Gateway setting means that is where apps like browsers will look for the internet. (Hence NOT your LAN)

As for your speed/duplex settings for the NIC (network interface card), the CLI (command line interface) command ifconfig should do it, but you'll need a CLI pro to tell you the arg's, I tried reading the man/info pages last night and fhew!! it's tough with no examples.

[static@hal static]$ ifconfig eth0

IP: 192.168.1.100

blah blah blah

speed: 100  duplex: full

[static@hal static]$ man ifconfig <or> info ifconfig

• 2 weeks later...
Guest daewoo

Ok, I found an article about how to configure the card the way I needed it. I stilll couldn't ping anything on the network. I replced the card, still no joy, replaced the gateway, still a big goose egg.

So I switched to a linksys card (using tulip module) and I still can't ping anything on the network. To simplify things, I got an 8 port hub and just hooked my mandrake box up, a known good win2k box and a known good redhat box. The win2k and redhat can ping each other, but the mandrake is just not working. I have changed cables, also.

Any ideas??? I am running mandrake 9.0

Guest daewoo

that was how I originally started out. THe gateway I was using was a dlink 713p, which has a dhcp server built in. All hte other machines got an IP from that except for the mandrake box. I was thiinking about installing a DHCP server ON the mandrake box to see if that helps (not sure on that one, though, since so far the box can't seem to access the network at all). I am unsure about how to configure the DHCP server/mandrake box to assign itself an IP. WIll it do this automatically or do I need to set a manual IP for the DHCP server?

:!: A dhcp server can't assign itself an IP (another dhcp server would be needed) > Give it a static IP. Then your NIC (network interface card) will be able to find the dhcp server when it broadcasts asking for an IP for itself.

daewoo: i've had issues with Linux systems not getting IPs from some routers/gateways/etc.

my fix: find out all the necessary info (DNS Servers, the gateway IP) and give the machine a static IP that no other system has (say, 192.168.0.111) and enter in the relevant info...you can do this with MCC I believe, but if need be I can tell you how to do it through the command line...but try it through MCC first :-)

You might need to check with your router if it will anly route for dhcp addresses it allocates. If you can it would be best/easiest to just use the dhcp on the router although mine is a lot slower than the linux dhcp server I have I think its down to the settings.

When you use the MCC you will only autodetect the NIC. (logical when you think about it). You can manually click (in my case) ADSL as well.

This then sets up the ethernet as eth0 and the default gateway to device eth0:x. It also installs the ppeoe stack from the CD's.

I'm not sure what protocol your using (is it DSL?) there are two protcols depending on your line pppoe and pppoa (ethernet and atm)

Sometimes the router will bridge them for you.

pppoa is more efficient by itself but it depends on the switch at your local telephone exchange.

I know the ISP's in Europe tend to use the dhcp allocation as a 'security' feature. I'm going to be doning this myself tonite!!!

Meant to do it last night but ended up in a long discussion till my bedtime (sorry you won't get that but static and tyme will).

If your using cable then I don't know anything sio disregard everythhing above this line :-)

Anyway try what tyme suggest first but also consider have you got the firewall up and what security level.

I'd never tell anyone to disable it when connected to the internet ;-) but this worked for a user yesterday.

if (as route) you do an ifconfig -a you'll see if the allocations.

you can also see your routing table with route {do a man for options}

Guest daewoo

The machine I am trying to configure is in my shop. There are 4 other machines there and they were connected to a wireless gateway. I was using the WAN uplink to run to my office (fairly close to shop). I was not actually using that d-link gateway as a gateway, it was mostly just for easy connectivity w/ laptops and mobiles.

I assinged static IP's and tried it that way, but it didin't help at all. The lights on the switch show connectivity, the card appears to be configured correctly, but there is o incoming/outgoing ping. Even the ifconfig looks good.

I am considering doing a windows-style fix (either re-install or upgrade). I have had a problem before with mandrake being a little fussy about software that is installed after the system is installed. I don't really know why....

Is 9.1 nice????

when assigning static IPs to the system, you also have to give them the IP of the default gateway (this means whatever machine they would get an IP from-if dhcp was working-and that their connection would go through), along with the DNS servers and also probably the domain suffix (i.e.: something.net)

is this what you did or did you just give 'em static IPs? (can't really determine from your post)

First check your security level and firewall

It can be really frustrating and a big waste of time swapping out cards and messing with everything until your sure it isn't your firewall.

Sounds like you already wasted quite a bit so its worth making doubly sure.

The fundamental you need to be able to do is ping your network, once you can do that you know everything about the card/hubs/wiring is working you can concentrate on your internet settings.

I'd try just setting the card as dhcp. (the chip on your other card isn't a server its a dhcp-bootp client.) It allows you to run diskless from and NFS server.

Let your router allocate the IP....

A good way to see whats happening is to restart the network by hand.

/etc/init.d/network restart

It should show you the dhcp allocation.

Copy it here except substitute the IP address (not that the people on this board aren't all nice folks but anyone can browse it)

Now do the same with route

193.x.y.3 * 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0

a.b.c.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0

127.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo

default 193.x.y.3 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 ppp0

make sure your consistentwith substitutions!

Are you really dial up.... try and be specific!!

Let your router allocate the IP....
If I read his posts correctly, the problem is that the router isn't giving his machine an IP address...

then again, I could just be misunderstanding the issue...