Newbie and New install.

FX

Just installed Mandrake 9.1 today on my laptop. Going to test is on there first to see how it goes. It partioned the hdd with XP on it just fine and I can boot to both. I have a couple of questions though.

First about mail Using Kmail or the Gnome mail client, can I get to my Hotmail account? Also I have my own mail server running on a server box here. Its Mercury SMTP mail program. For some reason I cannot get to it. Lastly I was able to use Gaim to setup my Aim chat account I have and the KSirc to setup the irc chat room I go to all time,( which I hope there is a easier way than what Im doing now.) but I cannot seem to figure out how to setup my MSN or other chats. Gaim is suppose to be like Trillian right, all in one chat, including irc?

Heres a stupid question too, since the rest of my network here at home, 3 other pc' linked together with a linksys, I take it since they are all running Windows that Mdk won't see the the network?

Any help would be great, and oh yea so far liking Mdk, but I have alot to learn. LOL I don't even know how to d/l and install anything, say something like Netscape 7 browser if I wanted too. LOL.

FX

Ok I got Mozilla Firebird downloaded to home/fx/download file (or close to that) and now Im stuck. I don't know how to install it. I have no idea on what to do. I been looking around for a couple of hrs. trying to find something to help, but no avail. Starting to wonder if linux is right for me. LOL Feeling really stupid at this point. Could anyone help?

FX

Welcome FX! lets sort ya out *crack*

Firstly, use Evolution for email, it kicks the crap out of anything else. You will have to check your hotmail via the web page, or using Gaim.

Gaim setup is easy, all you have to do is load libraries for the networks you want to connect to. So go to the plugins page and load the msn plugin and the aim plugin and then setup your accounts for each one.

Your box can run on the network. Install Webmin, connect to it by opening a browser window and surfing to https://localhost:10000 - then use Webmin to setup Samba. you can share all your files with M$ machines, just post if you have problems or need to know how.

For installing things, find our more about urpmi and package management in mandrake. Search this site for posts and sped time exploring in MDK. And don't worry about Netscape, just use Mozilla.

This is all very general, if you need me to be more specific about anything, let me know.

Good luck and welcome to the World of Mandrake!

Ok I got Mozilla Firebird downloaded to home/fx/download file (or  close to that) and now Im stuck. I don't know how to install it. I have no idea on what to do. I been looking around for a couple of hrs. trying to find something to help, but no avail. Starting to wonder if linux is right for me. LOL Feeling really stupid at this point. Could anyone help?

FX

Sorry, we were posting at the same time.

Ok, did you download a rpm package or a tar.gz?

Wow thanks, starting to feel better already. LOL

Anyways I just d/l'ed the tarz package and have it sitting in my download folder that I made. Not sure what to do with it. ( no .exe to click on, that I can see anyways. LMAO)

FX

Ok, it would have been easier if you had downloaded the rpm package. Just a quick question: Why not stay with Mozilla until you know what's going on? Firebird is great, but not amazing and Mozilla will do everything you need in a browser for now.

But, if you want to install it from tar, do this :plan: :

I'm sure someone like tyme, who has used Firebird could help you in a more direct manner, this is generally how to approach it:

$ su

The su means "give me root privileges" (the $ means you are a normal user, whereas # means you are su).

So now type your root password, then:

# tar -xzf package.tar.gz

Where package.tar.gz is obviously the firebird package. A directory will now be created type:

#cd directory

Where directory is the name of the directory, obviously.

Then:

# ls

Look for a readme file, to read it use:

vim readmefile

Where readmefile is the name of the readme. There should be instructions there. To get out of vim, type shift+: and then type q and enter. You will probably be doing a .configure -> make -> make install, but there might also be a script, so check the readme.

*phew* Sounds tedious, I know. I'm presuming you are completely new? You should get some reading done on bashing, urpmi, etc. Also - check out DOlson's page: http://icculus.org/~dolson/mdkxp/

He has some great tutorials (one of them deals with your gaim question).

Browse the net, browse this forum, especially tips and tricks the the FAQ section and do some learning.

We all started as newbies, so don't lose heart. Just take some initiative in learning stuff and ask us when you get stuck.

• 1 month later...