External HD mounting error

Just John

Hey smart guys, anyone know how to get removable hard drives to be hot pluggable?

I'm running a 250GB Seagate external on USB, originally formated in XP, now using it in Mandriva. Whenever I get an improper shutdown I get the following error trying to access it:

ect 'libpulsedsp.so' from ld_preload cannot be preloaded: ignored.

mount: can't find /dev/sdb1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

If unplug the hard drive and plug it back in it works fine in windows but in Mandriva I get this:

$LogFile indicates unclean shutdown (0, 0) Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Operation not supported Mount is denied because NTFS is marked to be in use. Choose one action: Choice 1: If you have Windows then disconnect the external devices by clicking on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Windows taskbar then shutdown Windows cleanly. Choice 2: If you don't have Windows then you can use the 'force' option for your own responsibility. For example type on the command line: mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /media/The Archives -o force Or add the option to the relevant row in the /etc/fstab file: /dev/sdb1 /media/The Archives ntfs-3g force 0 0

So, I think I want to do that last thing, but I'm hesitant because I don't know exactly what it's doing, and I don't know what the "relevant line" is. (I see a bunch of sda entries, but no sdb, and the sda ones have a "unique id" that looks like it would be missing if I just put in the line it suggested)

Are you shutting down Windows with the USB disk attached?

If so, then this explains the error because that's what it asked you. It said to use the icon by the clock to safely unmount the disk before shutting down Windows and restarting.

USB disks should always be safely unmounted anyway to ensure against data loss. If you just unplug them without safely unmounting them, you can lose data. In fact, I had it once under Windows, I copied something to the disk and then pulled it out, went to another machine and nothing was there! Hence, it's good practice to safely remove it before unplugging the disk from the computer.

Boot Windows, attach the disk. Unmount it successfully in Windows, then reboot into Linux and use the disk.

Linux will not mount a disk unless it has been cleanly dismounted because it knows that there is something wrong with it because it wasn't unmounted cleanly.

Alternatively, use the force mount option:

The latest ntfs-3g release can also repair and mount uncleanly shutdown Windows or not properly detached removable disks if the "force" mount option is used. Earlier releases always refused to mount and required Windows to fix the damage it left behind. Maybe it was a trick to prevent Linux mounting NTFS safely but it doesn't matter anymore because the "force" option really works fine now :)

taken from: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-repli...cfm/746646.html

how:

mount -t ntfs-3g -o force,ro /dev/sdXY /media/sdXY

replacing the values with what you want. This taken from here: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-619500.html

I have had this problem in the past as well. I agree with ianw that the best way to solve it is to unmount it properly under windows, I have never had much luck with the 'force' option of mount.

You could also try the pmount command. It is a lot easier than mount as it doesn't require any options or fstab entries, just typing:

pmount /dev/sdb1

Will have it appear in /media probably as 'disk' or 'disk1'.

As ianw says though don't forget to unmount it when finished before removing it with

pumount /dev/sdb1

NB if you can't find pmount then just install it, it is in the repos and is only a few kb.

I wouldn't mount it directly to /media - mainly because other connected disks will also attempt to mount here. I'd do it something like /mnt/windows or /media/windows.

Just create the windows directory, and then mount it to that thereafter. As you have it now, if you connect anything else, it will try to mount them inside the mounted Windows NTFS partition. Could be problematic!

Hmm, interesting. Didn't know that. Perhaps that's why my media card reader was giving me trouble later. :P

However, it wouldn't work if I tried to put anything after /media so I just put it there. I forgot what the exact error was, but it like could not create path or something with the path.