Postgresql and Amarok [solved]

volapyk

Hi,

I would like to use Postgresql with Amarok in Mandriva 2008.1, because Amarok has become really slow with Sqlite. I have installed Postgresql8.3 and I'm trying to follow this procedure from the Ubuntu forum:

1 - #su - postgres

2 - createuser -P amarok

3 - createdb -O amarok collection

So I create the user and it asks me for a password. I type the password twice and all is fine.

It then asks if the new user should be a superuser. (y/n) - I answer y

I then get the following error:

-bash-3.2$ createuser -P amarok
Enter password for new role: 
Enter it again: 
Shall the new role be a superuser? (y/n) y
createuser: symbol lookup error: createuser: undefined symbol: PQconnectionNeedsPassword

I get the same error if i run "createdb -O amarok collection".

What am I doing wrong?

Edited by volapyk

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I tried making Mysql work before trying Postgresql, but I could not make it work. I will have a look at the link you in your answer. For now I'm using Exaile instead of Amarok. Nice player, but with a few more bugs.

Amarok is very stable and bullet fast with postgresql - imho quite faster, and more responsive than with mysql.

The pgresql wiki at Amarok site is just fine. Locally, I have finetuned postgresql easily using the analogous webmin module- although I guess using the postgresql admin would be equally good.

i used Amarok with Postgresql back in Ubuntu 1-1½ year ago and it was working great.

Like mentioned I can't make it work in Mandriva and I get the error mentioned above:

createuser: symbol lookup error: createuser: undefined symbol: PQconnectionNeedsPassword

I have used the guide from the Amarok Wiki and the Ubuntu forum, but I'm somewhat of a noob, when it comes to this.

I have finetuned postgresql easily using the analogous webmin module- although I guess using the postgresql admin would be equally good.

I will look into this, but I'm not really sure I understand what you're talking about. :unsure:

SOLVED - I made it work. I installed a few more Postgresql packages including the postgresql....server package. I thought installing postgresql 8.3 was enough. With the server package and 2-3 more installed, I could easily create the database and make it work.

Greetings

Volapyk

Edited by volapyk