This was wierd

Ok, I just had the monitor turn off on me on my laptop. I assume this is part of APM, but I don't know. I looked through MCC, but I didn't find a way to fix this or turn it off. I was using the mouse at the time, but that didn't seem to matter at all. It only responded to me hitting a key on the keyboard.

When it came back, the screen looked stretched. I had to restart X to fix this problem. Not a big deal, but kind of a pain in the ass.

Ok, here's the real question: Does anyone know a way to turn this off? I guess I could disable APM, but I want it on to be able to see the battery state. Also, the only time I have noticed this was when I was running from battery and not plugged in, but I think it would still happen if it was plugged in. If I can't turn it off, I would at least like it to respond to the mouse. If anyone has an idea, please let me know. I'll keep digging myself.

You can find a lot of stuff related to linux on laptops at http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/

Specifically, for Dell models:

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html

there are a lot of Inspiron 8200 HOWTO's listed there. I didn't look at them all, but the APM section of this one: http://jpstrand.homeip.net/user/delli8200/.../delli8200.html seemed to have a good bit of information.

notice, this is not Mandrake specific, so you'll have to do some work in the terminal.

p.s.-it talks about the Nvidia drivers not supporting APM with AGP, but it's in an older version of the Nvidia drivers, so I don't know if this has been fixed or not, but you can try that stuff anyways (probably minus the patch). I would first suggest just trying the

Option "NvAGP" "0"

line that it suggests adding to your XF86Config-4

Not sure, but assume you might be running KDE or Mdk DM.

You can do some power mgmt in KDE via K--CONFIGURATION--POWER CONTROL--DISPLAY POWER CONTROL. You might want to disable DISPLAY POWER MGMT and / or set your suspend times differently. Think that might be what you need.

man:apm and man:apmd have some command info that you might need to be use to make permanent changes too.

Ok, stopped the display from shutting off, sort of. It froze on me just now, just wierd lines across the screen, couldn't see anything on the desktop, ctrl +alt + backspace didn't even log me out of X and I had to reboot completely. But that's another story. On one of the links that tyme gave out : http://jpstrand.homeip.net/user/delli8200/.../delli8200.html there is a section about the Extra buttons on my laptop. This is something that I had been trying to figure out since I got it before Christmas. It says a couple of things:

I put 'i8k' in my /etc/modules file so it is loaded automatically on boot.

Ok, did that, and installed the i8kutils package. Next:

Then put in a boot script:

/usr/bin/i8kbuttons -u "/usr/bin/aumix -v+5" -d "/usr/bin/aumix -v-5" -m "/usr/bin/aumix -v0" &

This sets up the buttons to increase or decrease the master volume by 5 when the volume up or down button respectively is pressed. It also sets the master volume to 0 when the mute button is pressed.

Ok, sounds easy enough; but where do I put this script? The page mentions the files ~/.xsession and/or the ~/.xinitrc file, but I don't have either of those files. Should I create them? What do you think?

Would the above files be created if I set X to start automatically on boot? I really want those buttons to be working and this is the last thing that I have that's really bothering me. I can set X to start up on boot, but I would prefer not to if there is something else I can do to get this script to execute on boot.

should it not work by placing a script whose name starts with a uppercase S in

/etc/rc.d/rc3.d

I have never messed with boot scripts but my understanding is that if you place a script (or a link to it) in the above folder, it will get executed when you get to runlevel 3.