Had to reinstall Mandriva after trying to run evil

Guest nortononsax

Guest nortononsax

I've been working to get Mandriva 2008.0 and all of it's apps running 100% and was 99% there until I tried to boot evilwm. Then everything started freezing right after the boot screen (Got a steady "_" on a black screen after the "Booting Mandriva" screen). When I tried to boot in safe mode there was no GUI, just a promt. If I put in "init 4", Mandriva would boot, but again to a promt-- no GUI.

I assume it was just trying over and over to boot in evilwm and I just couldn't get to the login screen to tell it to boot in KDE, but I'm not sure. Had to reinstall so I could post this! What could I have done to save my OS?!

A bit difficult to tell really after a reinstall. However, something to look for normally is that if the GUI isn't starting, it's probably a misconfiguration of xorg that has caused it. Either that, or it was a problem with evilwm.

So, reconfiguring xorg from the command line could have helped, or alternatively, if that didn't, then chances are just changing your window manager from evilwm to Gnome/KDE or whatever might have got it back up and running again.