A good C IDE.

Could u tell what ide's are for C and which is the best suited for newbies.I've studied some Pascal, but when it comes to C i'm basically without a clue.

And due to the fact that in the first year of university we are studying C, i've got to learn it. :)

Most people use emacs for C developement. It takes a little getting use to, but it is a great text editor/IDE. Other then that, you can basically use any text editor you want. Vi/Vim also works well with C code.

I have never used the CodeWarrior IDE, but you can give that a try. However, if you are planning on going into computer science, then I would strongly urge you to learn Emacs and/or Vi. This is what is used out there, and it will give you an advantage over other people. Plus, once you know these two programs you can sit down at any *nix machine and do what needs to be done GUI/X server/Desktop or not.

If you like the Borland IDE then you can download and use their new native linux version of Delphi (which now includes C/C++). It's free for writing GPL software.

Glitz.

PS. Sorry I don't have the URL but I'm sure a google search will turn it up.

fuzzy, what do emac's IDE programmers use for a debugger? Is a debugger integrated into the IDE?

Actually, yes there is a debugger integrated into emacs. (it really is a huge program) Basically they have been able to intergrate the standard gcc debugger directly into emacs in conjunction with the built in shell. It takes a little bit of getting used to, but it is extremely powerfull. However, I have forgotten how to access it. (I studied it in school last year.)

I recommend trying Anjuta - it's free, open source IDE, very nice and powerful

http://anjuta.sourceforge.net

Okay, so trying to install from src.rpm...

rpmbuild --rebuild anjuta-x.x.xx-x.src.rpm

checking for gnome-vfs-config... no

configure: error: Couldn't find gnome-vfs-config

error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.48360 (%build)

RPM build errors:

Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.48360 (%build)

Trying to check if I do have it installed...

urpmi gnome-vfs

Everything already installed

urpmi gnome-vfs-extras

Everything already installed

Any ideas?

Emacs would probably be better, I am not speaking from experience with anjuta but emacs is highly configurable and if you learn to use it well....well it wiould be a good thing. Plus it probably wouldn't fail in the compile stage since it is....emacs.

emacs is really not an [sic] 'programming IDE'.

Oh? What about the debugger and the editor? I don't know about you, but if a program debugs, can edit with highlighting, and will call a compiler on the fly, it is a debugger to me. But whatever.