Freevo

SoulSe

I picked up a magazine with http://movix.sourceforge.net/

First looks are promissing....

But I just bought an XBOX for 199 Euros.....

Now I need to source a modchip.... Anyone got ideas....

Ive seen them empty but how do you upload the cromwell bios?

Anyway, it seems it will be a perfect TiVo type thing that will play DVD and music too, just gota get rid of the pesky M$ shit on there.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a minimal distro working with the source headers (probably a debian) and compiling FreeVo for XBOX.

Anyone got any thoughts????? Collaboration ????

Its all in python and I don't have any python experience but Im willing to learn..

edit:::Found this

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbplayer/

::

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to give this Freevo thing a run and see how it works out, but first anyone know how well it will work (or if it will work at all) with basic cable. Does it need satellite or digital cable to work?

I'm going to try to use a t-bird 1ghz with 1gb of pc133 and probably a Hauppage WinTV board, if I can get one. I also need to get a hd the only one I have spare is only 3gb, probably not enough.

It doesn't sound like it requires any particular graphics card, I've got a tnt2 that I'll try, might have to use my radeon though. Anyway... I'm going to give it a shot at least.

it should work perfectly fine with any type of cable or satellite, as long as the tv board you get has the necessary input file.

all freevo does is get listings from the internet somewhere and change the channels (channel up, channel down, put a specific channel in).

as long as your card has drivers (read: works in linux) and a tv out (or just CRT out if you are putting it to a regular monitor) you shouldn't have any problems.

well the tnt2 doesn't have video out, but my radeon does, so maybe I will have to use that one instead. I thought that it would probably work with basic cable, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for letting me know.

Has anyone built a freevo box yet? Any particular problems?

I tried it in the liveCD version and it worked.

Can't say I get any praise or cool points, I just put in the CD and rebooted.

Didn't d TV out and was stuck with a UK keyboard and French Keyb. .klt so that didn't help + it was a compact keyboard (infrared with mouse pointer built in) i.e just what you'd want for a ent's system.

Anyway its was pretty cool all the same.