gtk cannot open display

Steve Scrimpshire

I just installed 9.1 a couple days ago and still have some problems to work out. If I start X normally on :0 certain things will not run at all. If I try to launch them from the terminal, I get a gtk error "cannot open display".

Gnome Control Center will run, but if I try to do anything in it, it segfaults and crashes, same with Nautilus and Galeon.

Also, the command:

startgnome

does not work (same errors).

Any ideas? There's nothing in ~/.xsessionerrors related to this.

Edit: More details

Using gdm, if I start gdm normally on :0 then I can login to Gnome through there fine on display :0 but with GTK errors opening display when I run certain things and Gnome Control Center runs but segfaults as soon as I try to do anything. Also, in my 'foot' menu, there is no Applications, Configuration, etc. There is nothing above 'Run Program'. If I start gdm on display :1, everything is fine. Gnome 2.2 BTW (stock 9.1 install)

Instead of startgnome, try

gnome-session

As far as the others go.....I did get the cannot connect to display once or twice, but I don't anymore. Your Menu? YUK! I have no idea :cry: I do know that menu editing in gnome2-2-1 is broken but this is for users running slackwares, debians, and lfs that don't have a menudrake as we do....although it could be the reason I guess.

Already tried gnome-session. Same problems. As for my menus and the segfault/cannot open display, it happens on the first instance of gdm that I run, whether it be on diplay :0 or :1 or :2 If I start it again on a different display, that is when I get my whole menu back and stuff stops segfaulting. (I just discovered this with a reboot.)

I also just discovered that if I have X set to start at boot and autologin, I don't have these problems...but I hate starting X automatically at boot, because there is no easy way to kill X without shutting off autostart X in mcc and rebooting. If it doesn't start automatically at boot, I can just do Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.