installation help! please

Guest waterborne

Guest waterborne

I am new to linux and trying to install mandriva on my computer. Here is what I have done so far:

Burned the file I downloaded from Manriva's website as an image cd (the file ended with .iso)

I then used the xp cds to boot my computer up and deleted the old partition (with windows on it) and created a new partition

I then put in the boot cd I made with mandriva on it and rebooted

When the computer boots I here the cd drive start spinning like it is reading the cd but I get a completely black screen with a cursor (the underscore kind) blinking in the upper left hand corner. pressing keys doesn't do anything unless I hold them down in which case the computer makes a small clicking sound.

Can anyone help? I am close to just getting an Ubuntu cd from my friend and using that because I have heard it is easier to install... Thanks in advance

Jeff

A hearty warm welcome to MUB.

Have you made certain that you have actually burned the ISO as ISO and not as a data file. You should also do the burn at the slowest speed possible to avoid a corrupted burn but what you describe seems to indicate that the bios is not seeing a bootable image at all rather than a corrupted one.

What burner package did you use ???.

Some burner packages in Windows can be confusing.

Cheers. John

Could you also give us some information on your hardware? Maybe there is one piece that might cause problems (Rather unlikely but who knows?)

Btw.: Ubuntu is not easier to install. It is simply different (and sadly takes quite a bit longer to install).

And welcome aboard. :beer: