MP3 volume normalizer

william

Does anyone know if there's any software desingned for linux to normalize the volumes of a MP3 collection? I have a bunch of them and all the time I have to adjust the volume whenever xmms changes the song.

there's a plugin for xmms.

look in the preferences, Effect/General plugins, Effect plugins area.

Normalize Volume 0.4.1 - it's part of my xmms install in gentoo, so I would guess it's standard and so you should have it on mandrake. if not...hunt for it in the software manage, filename of the plugin is libnormvol.so

tyme: the normalizer isn't in the same directory where the visible xmms plugins are.

after a search, normalize was installed in the following paths:

1 ) /usr/lib/gimp/1.2/plug-ins > where I found a executable file named normalize, but any shared library file type.

2 ) /usr/local/bin > where I have 3 files: normalize -ogg, normalize-mp3 as a perl program and normalize as a executable file.

The xmms plugins can be found in:

/usr/lib/xmms/general > as a shared library file types

At a first glance it sounds a little strange the normalize hasn't created any shared library file type. What you think?

paleo: I was used to using MP3 GAIN in windows and it's really a good software. But unfortunately I didn't succeeded in installing this binary software after its extraction (sorry, but I'm a new linux user). I will give a look at some books in order to know which comand(s) to use to install binary files.

Despite of that, I would like to solve the plugin issue and at the same time have MP3 gain installed.

Any additional information and help will be very much appreciated.

you got the binaries and not the source code, right? All I had to do is extract it (am running LM9.1). You might have to change permissions for mp3gain, though. Go to where you extracted it and then as root:

#chmod uog+x mp3gain

you should be able to execute it as a normal user by

$./mp3gain

if you are in the directory where it is or you could copy it to /usr/bin and then you can execute it by simply

$ mp3gain

william: the link ramfree gave you was not to the plugin for XMMS, that was a completely different thing-it's an all out program, not a plugin.

here's the plugin: http://volnorm.sourceforge.net/

(i didn't check ramfree's link before, i assumed, and we all know what happens when someone assumes ;-) )

paleo. Ok, MP3 gain working... thanks

tyme and ramfree17, sorry for the lack of attention :oops: i have installed both all out program, mp3 gain and normalize, will check its functionalities.

normalize volume plugin already running in xmms.