Problem setting screen resolution

galapogos

Hi,

I have Mandrake 9.1(kernel v2.4.x) and I'm having trouble setting the screen resolution. It's stuck at 1024x768 even though I try changing it in the mandrake control center. I've installed the intel i915 graphics driver, but harddrake lists it as simply "videocard".

I've also set the monitor to a general flat panel 1280x1024, but even though the control center shows that the resolution is 1280x1024, it's actually 1024x768, no matter what resolution I try to set it as.

Help?

Edited by galapogos

As per another thread....... Pray tell why you are persisting with such an old and out of date Mandriva version ???.

It's a bit like trying to get Windows ME to work on modern hardware...............a great big waste of time.

Not a good analogy I admit but you should get the idea.

Cheers. John.

First, try to change the screen resolution by pressing Alt+Ctr+"+" or Alt+Ctr+"-"(you know, those "+" and "-" on the numeric keypad). I would not trust Mandrake Control Centre with my X configuration. Even in Mandriva 2008, if I use it I end up with the screen resolution 800x640 (or something similar), and the only way out is to use xrandr. By the way, you could try xrandr.

If none of the above helps, you will need to set the resolution manually by editing one of the XF86Config files located in /etc/X11/. You need to add a modeline for your monitor to match the monitor specifications and then specify the screen resolution in the screen section. There are online modeline calculators that you can use to generate modelines. Also, you could try the command xvidtune. Be careful, it potentially can fry the monitor, though I have never seen it causing anything bad.

You could try using XFdrake from an X-less login, that's worked for me in the past.

even though the control center shows that the resolution is 1280x1024, it's actually 1024x768, no matter what resolution I try to set it as.

Are you sure? I don't mean to sound dumb but are you sure the resolution is 1024x768, not a higher resolution with bigger fonts?

Thanks for the replies guys.

First of all let me say that I'm a Linux noob. I've had some unix/linux exposure before but not much.

AussieJohn: I'm using Mandrake 9.1 because I will be taking over development of some software that is based on the older 2.4 kernel. For the purpose of this, Mandrake is sufficient and will probably be too much of a hassle to upgrade.

coverup: thanks I'll try that.

neddie: I'm sure it's 1024x768. I can tell when a LCD is not in its native resolution. Besides, I double checked using my LCD's OSD. It says 1024x768. What do you mean by "XFDrake from an X-less login"?

I have a feeling the i915 drivers aren't being installed correctly, because it still says "videocard" and when I use drakxconf, I don't see any new options for the i915 chipset either. I tried reinstalling the drivers and it says its successful but no changes seem to have been made. How do I check this?

Thanks again.

Edited by galapogos

neddie: I'm sure it's 1024x768. I can tell when a LCD is not in its native resolution. Besides, I double checked using my LCD's OSD. It says 1024x768. What do you mean by "XFDrake from an X-less login"?

XFDrake is another (former?) name for drakxconf. X-less login means you must do it from console, as root.

I have a feeling the i915 drivers aren't being installed correctly, because it still says "videocard" and when I use drakxconf, I don't see any new options for the i915 chipset either. I tried reinstalling the drivers and it says its successful but no changes seem to have been made. How do I check this?

As root, check the content of /var/log/XFree.log.0 (or a similar). This is the detailed log of what X is doing. MCC does not know that you installed a new driver. If you want to use MCC/drakxconf, you must choose the custom setup option, and specify all information by hand. You'll be better off editing /etc/X11/XF86Config or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 by hand. Here is /etc/XF86Config I had on my old Mandrake 10.1 system, you may need to change Driver i810 to i915:

# File generated by XFdrake.

# **********************************************************************
# Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of
# this file.
# **********************************************************************

Section "Files"
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
FontPath "unix/:-1"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
#DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse doesn't work
#DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx" # 3D layer
Load "dri" # direct rendering
# Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a"
# Load "synaptics"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard1"
Driver "keyboard"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "en_US"
Option "XkbOptions" ""
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
# Block type: 2:0 3:fd
# Block type: 2:0 3:fc
Identifier "SyncMaster"
VendorName "SAM"
ModelName "SyncMaster"

# HorizSync 30-81
HorizSync 30-63
VertRefresh 56-70

# Max dot clock (video bandwidth) 140 MHz
# Block type: 2:0 3:ff
# DPMS capabilities: Active off:yes  Suspend:no  Standby:no

# Mode	"1280x1024"	 # vfreq 60.020Hz, hfreq 63.981kHz
# DotClock		108.000000
# HTimings		1280 1328 1440 1688
# VTimings		1024 1025 1028 1066
# Flags   "+HSync" "+VSync"
# EndMode
# Block type: 2:0 3:ff

Modeline "1280x1024" 108 1280 1328 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "device1"
VendorName "Intel Corp."
BoardName "Intel 865"
Driver "i810"
VideoRam 32768

# VideoRam 65536
Option "DPMS"
#	Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "screen1"
Device "device1"
Monitor "SyncMaster"
DefaultColorDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
	Depth 8
	Virtual 1280 1024
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
	Depth 15
	Virtual 1280 1024
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
	Depth 16
	Virtual 1280 1024
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
	Depth 24

# Virtual 1280 1024
	Modes "1280x1024"
EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "layout1"
InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
Screen "screen1"
EndSection

Section "dri"
Mode 0666
EndSection

AussieJohn: I'm using Mandrake 9.1 because I will be taking over development of some software that is based on the older 2.4 kernel. For the purpose of this, Mandrake is sufficient and will probably be too much of a hassle to upgrade.

Mandriva is by far my prefered Linux distribution.

However, it is definitely targeted at new hardware and just won't run on older hardware; that's why you have to use such an old release.

I suggest you try Debian instead:

- Latest release (3.1) ships with a 2.4 kernel (see "nomade" in my signature);

- It is much more up-to-date (than Mdk 9.1) where drivers are concerned;

- It is after all a mainstream distribution.

Yves.

Edited by theYinYeti

I suggest you try Debian instead:

- Latest release (3.1) ships with a 2.4 kernel (see "nomade" in my signature)

Ummm, the latest release of Debian is 4.0 and has a 2.6 kernel. Support for 3.1 will expire quite soon.

- It is after all a mainstream distribution.
Mainstream? Debian? Depends what you mean by mainstream I guess but I've always thought it was for expert geeks, and distros like Ubuntu / Mandriva / Suse were more for the mainstream...:unsure:

Anyway, sounds like coverup's got a good handle on this problem :thumbs:

Ummm, the latest release of Debian is 4.0 and has a 2.6 kernel. Support for 3.1 will expire quite soon.
:huh: Oh! Sorry, I thought 3.1 was the latest… Simply ignore what I wrote, then. :oops:

Yves.