new to mandrake just about to install - grub/lilo question

Guest rother

Guest rother

i am about to install mandrake onto pc with windows xp and suse already installed on the same HD fat 32. dual booting with grub.

i wish to replace suse, so i can reatain windows what do i select at install to dual boot to mandrake and windows.

many thanks.

Either grub or lilo will do that for you. If you're used to grub, choose that. It's all up to personal preference. I use lilo, but that's just cause I want to; not because it's any better or worse (in my mind at least) than grub. To me, it just looks better.

the mandrake installer should install over top of grub without a problem-but nothing is ever quite 100%.

Not that linux won't be 100%, but its always better to be 100% yourself, and leave it up to your system.

Well, lilo will backup the mbr before it installs. If you have a windows mbr there , it will be backed up. Then if you uninstall lilo, it will still boot to windows. If you have grubs mbr from suse there and install mandrake, it will back that up instead, but in turn if you uninstall lilo, it will restore a mbr that does not have suse around to drive it..