CPU temp sensor program

ajw055570

Ok so i have a setup running Mandriva 2008 in KDE. I am trying to find and install a program that will let me monitor the cpu temp, northbridge temp, mem temp, hdd temp. Or in the least the cpu temp alone. The problem is that i keep running into different issues with the various programs and any faqs or guides assume that the user knows what they are doing, which i clearly dont :wall:

So if anyone has recomendations for programs and/or links to a guide that a complete n00b would be able to understand i would really like the help. :thumbs:

Ok i tried kima...but i run into the error "congigure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH" and this isnt the first time that this error has come up. I have tried using the sourcecodes and compiling several different programs and they have all come back this way (would have used the Mandriva RPM for Kiva but i got a 404 error in internet explorer).

Does anyone know a way around this because it is starting to get really irritating?

some additional information: the problems seem to start when the terminal gets to

"checking for gcc... no

Checking for cc... no

checking for cl.exe... no"

I take it you are trying to compile it from source. There is no need to do that, and it is easier not to. Just make sure you have your repositories set up, and search for it in MCC, and it will install it for you. If you haven't already you can set up your sources by going to Easyurpmi and following the instructions.

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

Or click the Easyurpmi link up above, top right of this page.

Although compiling from source can be fun (in a twisted masochistic sort of way ;) ) and certainly a learning experience, it really is better 99.9% of the time to install software via Mandriva's MCC or urpmi if you like. There may be occasions where you have to compile from source, eg, for the very latest of something, and you can't wait, or some app you want and there is no pre compiled package available, among others.

Edited by aphelion

Ok i tried kima...but i run into the error "congigure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH" and this isnt the first time that this error has come up.

The $ in your error message is telling me that you are running that command as a regular user. You need to type su and log in as root. You will notice the $ becomes a #. That said, you should not need to compile from source...

You can find kima in the Mandriva contrib official repositories. If you have trouble downloading it, try a different update source. The French sources are reported to be offline less frequently.

kima-0.7.4-1mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

Edited by David Batson

The $ in your error message is telling me that you are running that command as a regular user. You need to type su and log in as root.

No, that's not correct. In his error message, it's telling him he has no C compiler in his $PATH. This $PATH:

[greg@halfway ~]$ echo $PATH
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin/:/usr/games:/usr/lib/qt3//bin:/home/greg/bin:/usr/lib/qt3//bin

You do not want to run ./configure as root.

@ ajw055570- Please follow the instructions in aphelion's post, and set up your software sources with easy-urpmi. Then install your applications with your package manager.

No, that's not correct. In his error message, it's telling him he has no C compiler in his $PATH.

I'll take your word for it. I have seen "command not found" when run as regular user, but the command worked fine when run as root. I thought this was the same issue, but apparently not.

But now the next question is how do i view the outputs? :huh:

Try running kima from Konsole (I think this is how I started it). Just type kima and press ENTER. You might have to type su first and log in as root.

That didnt do it just came up with command not found, both as user and as root.

Sorry for the red herring. I couldn't remember how I had started it. Try this: right-click on the taskbar to where you see the option to "Add Applet to Panel", choose Kima from the list. You might have to right-click on a couple of different places on the taskbar to bring up the "Add Applet to Panel" option.

Isn't it a kicker applet type of thing?

What happens when you right click on the kicker (task bar, what ever you want to call it) then select Add Applet to Panel , can you select it from there? just guessing, I don't use it.

Beaten by a hair :)

Edited by aphelion

It may have been that fellow eating popcorn? :D

lol, yes, I was going to reply to another post, in another thread, and selected 'quote', but then ended up not replying, then later, when I replied to this thread, I was surprised when I saw it turn up here. I thought I best delete him quick before any confusion set in :) Then I burnt my toast to boot :(