XD Media card reader

hugerobot

Hi

I have a smart media card reader that works fine in MDK 9.1... but I just bought my wife a new digital camera (Olympus C740) and it uses the XD media cards.

I have 2 situations:

1. The camera has a USB cable that I can connect to the computer, but when I do, my mouse stops working, and the camera goes nuts and I need to take the batteries out and put them back in. Oddly I have similar problems when I try to use my scanner, which is supported by snapscan and used to work. So, does anyone know if I should be able to plug in the camera and use it as a card reader? Do I need to install anything?

2. I have found an XD card reader on EBay that I am tempted to buy, since my smart media reader card works so simply (just plug it into the usb port, and mount it with the icon on the desktop) I am hoping that the XD reader will work just as well. Any ideas? Does linux see these readers all the same way?

Let me know. I do wonder if maybe I have a USB problem, or something else, since the mouse goes dead when I plug the scanner or the camera in, but I dont know. These are problems I have been having for quite a while now, and have been unable to fix.

Thanks

Many cameras do work directly under Linux, but no tall of them. You'll have to have a look round Google to find info specific to yours. Plugging in another USB device should not mess your system up so much. Have tried using another USB mouse whether it causes the same results?

As far as I know all memory card types are supported under Linux. But specific readers work better than others. While my Smart Media reader works fine, you might get one thats problematic.