Coming from Ubuntu

joshdudeha

My only worry for the future is that being a 'Gnomeophobe!' it scares me to death when I see how bad KDE4 is. I run it on Cooker and hate it, it is the ugliest most non-functional desktop I have ever seen and If that is the future of KDE and it doesn't improve, then I might have to get used to Gnome fairly soon.
Hang in there, things are improving and functionality is slowly being added. See here for a review on the current state of KDE4: http://polishlinux.org/kde/kde-41-visual-c...log-rev-783000/

Hang in there, things are improving and functionality is slowly being added. See here for a review on the current state of KDE4: http://polishlinux.org/kde/kde-41-visual-c...log-rev-783000/

I do so hope that you are right, but I don't see anything in that site that addresses the issues that I see. When I first downloaded 4, I thought that I had got hold of some 'accessibility' release for visually handicapped by mistake. The System Tray/Taskbar is the size of a plank of 4"x2", the icons are the size of paving slabs and the clock was big enough to read from the next county. Is that really what people want to see? I don't. Please don't be tempted to write back telling me how to resize the taskbar,clock etc I know that. When you do so all that happens is that anything on the bottom half of the taskbar in 'normal' mode disappears off the bottom of the screen. Useless!

Incidentally I should say that my ideas about 'accessibility' releases were soon dispelled when I opened up the system settings app to find that the fonts were just big enough to read with an electron microscope on high magnification, back to the good old days of early KDE releases.

I know it is not a final release and even when it is I wouldn't bother using it until it had been through about 5 or 6 versions, then maybe it will be usable, at the moment it certainly isn't.

I know it is not a final release and even when it is I wouldn't bother using it until it had been through about 5 or 6 versions, then maybe it will be usable, at the moment it certainly isn't.

You cannot judge it with the cooker version. 4.1 is the latest stable release. There's a lot of other previous functions that didn't work in the cooker version but do in 4.1. The cooker experience didn't warm me to KDE4 however the stable releases are a much better experience and I am now gradually liking the new look/functions.

I really do like Mandriva, when Hardy comes out- If it doesn't please me, I think I'll be re-formatting my drive and sticking Mandriva on it.

I think it is amazing.

Much faster - and with KDE 4, it looks ok. I came from a GNOME environment - but I don't mind which I use, KDE makes me happy though xD

You cannot judge it with the cooker version. 4.1 is the latest stable release. There's a lot of other previous functions that didn't work in the cooker version but do in 4.1. The cooker experience didn't warm me to KDE4 however the stable releases are a much better experience and I am now gradually liking the new look/functions.

Thanks for reassuring me BB| - I really do want to like it and I really do want it to work. The alternative is too drastic to contemplate!

i have tried everu major and LOTS of minor distros out there, even "paid" fr some and yet i keep coming back to MDV.

UBU is too gnomey for me

xandros is great to integrate into a windows network, but too much proprietary stuff

fedora is trying too hard NOT to be rles and SUSE is for me the only serious contender out there

just m,y 2 cts