Rebooting won't finish (9.1)

Guest Vermyndax

Guest Vermyndax

Hey all...

I'm a Linux moderate user... not a newbie, but not an expert.

Just recently installed mdk9.1. I hated mdkkdm, so I used the control center to change my DM to GDM. Now, when I'm in Gnome, if I do a reboot... it just logs me out and sends me back to GDM. If I CTRL-ALT-F1 to go to tty1, then it will start shutting down.

I seem to remember this happening even when mdkkdm was running.

Yes, I've run Mandrake Update and retrieved the updates. Anyone else had this problem and fixed it?

Guest Vermyndax

I'm set to "standard"...

It's worth noting, like I said, it seems to just sit around until you hit CTRL-ALT-F1 to go to tty1... then it will begin the shutdown sequence without any further keystrokes.

Maybe not a good answer to why the gui is acting up, but I have gotten into the habit of typing "reboot" or "power off" in a console, which I have open all of the time. It always works, without going back to the login screen.

Not sure this is applicable to your problem, but I have had a hardware related problem that prevents a reboot.

It has been there since ML 8.2 and it still happens in 9.1. Works under Win98SE but every version of ML has not been able to reboot cleanly. :roll: So-- I just shutdown and restart rather than hang the computer. It takes longer, but avoids the hassle that doesn't seem to be overcomeable.

Mobo here is Abit KR7A133 Athalon XP 1600

Guest Vermyndax

I haven't had any other rebooting troubles in any other distros or Windows.

I did notice that this only happens when using GNOME as the desktop. When logging into a KDE session and then rebooting, it doesn't happen... the system reboots fine.

If you hit CTRL-ALT-BKSP, the shutdown takes over (it is in progress) and opens the bootsplash screen as it should have done to start with.
sounds like a work around to me....and so does
This works correctly if MdkKDM is used as the display manager.
both appear to be valid workarounds, fixes no, workarounds, yes...

addition

and the comment:

It also works on systems which aren't using the bootsplash.
seems to imply that turning off the bootsplash (i believe this can be done through MCC->Boot->Boot Options) fixes it...

Guest Vermyndax

Guess I'll live with it until they issue a fix (if ever).

Of course, I should probably be happy that I'm running Mandrake at all. I reported the PDC20276 bug back in RC2 and they never fixed it. Some guy found the one line fix in the kernel and issed some floppies to fix it. Bless him!