What partition to put it in

ral

Have been running Linux dual boot with WIn98 for a year on my old 10GB HD, which is partioned into 2 equal halves.... Win98 on C and Linux on the second partition.

Yesterday I got a 40GB HD and plan to partition it into 4 equal partitions. Windows will go on the first partion, where should I place Linux?

I would try keeping the 10 gig, put win98 on it, make it C:. Then use the 40 gig for linux, plus additional fat32.. for D: (install software/swap/temp files). You have more than 4 partitions since you can make extended partitions.

Otherwise,

hda1 - win98 (3 gig)

hda2 - extended (use diskdrake)

hda5 - D: (software)

hda6 - /

hda7 - /usr

hda8 - /home

There are lots of variations depending on your needs.. Typically you really only require win98 to be in the first partition. The rest is flexible. Note to the wise, do not use windows fdisk on your hard drive after installing linux. Always use diskdrake to do the partition work.

Can't keep the 10 Gig drive. Need it for another PC.

How about:

Part 1: Windows

Part 2: Linux

Part 3: FAT32

Partt 4: FAT32

I like to keep data on a separate partition from the OS so when I reformat, I only reformat the partition with the OS.

Why two partitions for FAT32? Just have one.

My suggestion:

4 gigs - Windows System stuff (i say 4 because I've seen windows hog lots of space)

15 gigs - Linux, seperated into partitions as cannon has suggested.

The rest - FAT32 partition, containing software and all your other stuff.

Problem with that setup is what happens if you want to add a 5th partition? You are screwed. Just designate one as the extended partition. Really, in this setup, only win98 needs to be on a primary partition, so if you set partition 1 (hda1) as primary, and then define the remainder of the hard drive as "extended", you can create any number of partitions. Why?

Linux should be on several partitions rather than one. Better for backup (smaller partitions). You can define a /, an /usr, you will need a /swap, a /home..

Let's say down the road, you decide to test a new version of mandrake. You can install a new version along side with your current until beta testing is done and you are ready to make a permanent change.

I would define what your needs are and just define partitions sizes you need. If you have left over undefined partition space, all the better for the future.

I have a set of linux partitions, a few fat32 partitions, and still have 10 gig of unallocated space for the future..

Is the 25% a limitation that is being set by something?

What I would do is:

4-5 GB - 1st partition for Win98

~20 GB (in either 1 big partition or 2 smaller ones) for fat32 data, apps, music, whatever

the rest for Linux, making sure you have separate partitions for at least /, /usr, /swap (naturally), and /home.

It's a bit more complicated now. I have decided to upgrade the mobo too and sold my 8K9A and replaced it with an 8K9A2+ . I think they are dumping these ones these days since the KT400A is coming... and I got it cheap :)

So now I am going to try to Dual Boot with RAID 1 for both windows and linux.

Luckily Highpoint now was RH9 drivers.