Windows->Linux File Transfer

Tuxiscool

A friend at school is basically begging me to install Linux on his computer which is great but first i want to back up all his files on my computer. He currently has Windows 98 on his comp, two HDs a 1GB one and an 8GB one. Is there an easy way for me to transfer the files over LAN (like a folder in Konqueror that has his drives in it) so i can copy them to my computer? If there is how would i do this?

Im really sorry if this has been covered before, if so can people give me some links please. Thanks in advance.

winscp is the easiest way of doing it. Otherwise, you could use Samba and mount your friend's harddrive. I am not at my box now, but the command should be:

# mount -t smbfs -o username=username,password=password hostshare /mnt/target

Sorry if that is wrong, but it should work. If the host name of the windoze machine is not in your /etc/hosts file, then use the IP address instead.

Also, it is a win98 machine, so you should be able to leave out the -o username and password stuff, it will prompt you if necessary anyway...

It may be easier to share from the Windows side, but if not

1)Ensure that you have a unix account with the same name as he uses in Windows

2)Add a Samba password to that account that matches the password he uses to log into windows. The easiest way is with ksambaplugin, but on the console may be quicker:

# smbpasswd -a username

3)Give his username ownership of the directory

4)Ensure the share is set as writeable (read-only is the default)

Connect!

It might be easier to just run GuildFTPd on the Win98 box and just ftp the stuff over to your Linux box.

It took me a few hours to get sharing between Linux and my Win98 box - my main problem was that I was uing Microsoft Family Logon and I didn't have any users set up on Win98 (cuz I'm the only one) -

after I set up a user on Win98 (with same name as Linux user) and used Windows Logon, I was able to finally see my Win98 folders using LinNeighborhood on the Linux box.

I'm happy that it all came together, but if you're in a real pinch for time just run an ftp server on the Win98 box.

If he has two drives, just make sure the personal stuff is on one and you install on the other.

If you're really insecure about it, disconnect the drive you don't need, set the other up as master if necessary, then you are sure you cannot accidentally delete any info.

Why bother with a LAN, dragging computers around etc?

The authentification used to require plain text passwords, I'm not usre it still does but you need either a file called win98plain_text.reg (or similar).

Personally, when I do this I pull out the Windows drive and stick it in the linux box (with spare drive installed). Copy everything you need (you need to mount the second drive) or are likely to and then put it back and do the install.

Listen to aRtee, UNPLUG the drive with the data on.....that way you can't screw up ..... I'm presuming at this point from your initial post you have plenty of space to put his files... Just copy them to your spare space and you can put em back later.

Afterwards you can transfer everything back with NFS ....

I also use this method frequently with virus affected drives under windows. Or if the partition table is damaged etc.