installing games on 2008.0

Rowan

I have just installed 2008.0 and I thought that I would install some of my favorite games. When I tried to install both ut2004 and Doom3 (using installers) I got the following response in a blue DOS screen - "You are running a x86 machine with glibc-2.1 Operating system: Mandrake Linux 2008.0". There is also a dos response (yes) etc. Then the installation just won''t go much further.

When I previously installed these games in 2006 everything went smoothly.

Is anybody able to tell me what the trouble might be? I only stalled 2008 yesterday and am still getting to grips with it.

Many thanks.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Are you using the id installer for Doom3 from their site? Here: idsoftware.com

If so, and you start the install from the terminal, could you please post the exact error message here? You may have to use Ctrl+ C to close the install screen, so you can copy the error message in the terminal.

I retried the Doom3 installation and this time everything went ok. I still had the dos install screen but it now works - sort of. I started to play but the frame rate was so slow that it was unplayable - it seems like one frame every ten seconds.

I previously played on 2006 powerpack (commercial) that came with ati drivers and the game really boogied but it seems that my free version of 2008 is only using x11 X.org standard drivers.

Is it possible that these drivers are just not up to the task of driving a Radeon 9700 pro graphics card? This is my suspicion. I will now have to try and install some sort of ati driver for my system. I have ben told that I should only consider mandriva rpms because they are not all the same.

If anybody can point me towards suitable drivers I will have a bash at installing them.

Cheers

If anybody can point me towards suitable drivers I will have a bash at installing them.

Make sure you have set up your software sources (repositories) properly with easyurpmi. Then in a terminal (as root) do

urpmi dkms-fglrx

then do

XFdrake

to set up your video card. When it asked you if you want to use the proprietary module, answer 'yes'.

Thanks Greg.

Unfortunately doom3 was still unplayable - the game was still so slow. It was causing so much friction here at home that I have reinstalled 2006. I am not the only one who likes to play games.

Now I find that I am unable to initialise opengl on 2006. This whole thingis driving me crazy because my version of 2006 is the commercial one that I paid for and it should still work straight away.

When I try to play doom3 I just enter ''doom3'' and get the following response:

[root@localhost rowan]# doom3

DOOM 1.3.1302 linux-x86 May 12 2005 14:56:44

found interface lo - loopback

found interface eth0 - 192.168.1.3/255.255.255.0

------ Initializing File System ------

Loaded pk4 /usr/local/games/doom3/base/game01.pk4 with checksum 0xe9d5adcf

Loaded pk4 /usr/local/games/doom3/base/game02.pk4 with checksum 0x80401dd2

Loaded pk4 /usr/local/games/doom3/base/game03.pk4 with checksum 0x351c23e8

Loaded pk4 /usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak000.pk4 with checksum 0x28d208f1

Loaded pk4 /usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak001.pk4 with checksum 0x40244be0

Loaded pk4 /usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak002.pk4 with checksum 0xc51ecdcd

Loaded pk4 /usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak003.pk4 with checksum 0xcd79d028

Loaded pk4 /usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak004.pk4 with checksum 0x765e4f8b

Loaded pk4 /usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak005.pk4 with checksum 0x8ffc3621

Loaded pk4 /usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak006.pk4 with checksum 0x95b65ab

Loaded pk4 /usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak007.pk4 with checksum 0x666bdb3c

Current search path:

/root/.doom3/base

/usr/local/games/doom3/base

/usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak007.pk4 (38 files)

/usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak006.pk4 (48 files)

/usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak005.pk4 (63 files)

/usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak004.pk4 (5137 files)

/usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak003.pk4 (4676 files)

/usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak002.pk4 (6120 files)

/usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak001.pk4 (8972 files)

/usr/local/games/doom3/base/pak000.pk4 (2698 files)

/usr/local/games/doom3/base/game03.pk4 (2 files)

/usr/local/games/doom3/base/game02.pk4 (2 files)

/usr/local/games/doom3/base/game01.pk4 (2 files)

game DLL: 0x0 in pak: 0x0

Addon pk4s:

file system initialized.

--------------------------------------

----- Initializing Decls -----

------------------------------

------- Initializing renderSystem --------

using ARB renderSystem

renderSystem initialized.

5206 strings read from strings/english.lang

Couldn't open journal files

execing editor.cfg

execing default.cfg

couldn't exec DoomConfig.cfg

couldn't exec autoexec.cfg

5206 strings read from strings/english.lang

----- Initializing Sound System ------

sound system initialized.

----- R_InitOpenGL -----

Setup X display connection

dlopen(libGL.so.1)

dlopen(libGL.so.1)

idRenderSystem::Shutdown()

signal caught: Segmentation fault

si_code 1

Was in fatal error shutdown: Unable to initialize OpenGL

Trying to exit gracefully..

[root@localhost rowan]#

I have no idea why it won't work but I am getting just a little annoyed. I have looked around for answers but I am reluctant to try too much in case I make things worse.

Any idea how to fix the problem?

When I tried to install the game it was installed into /usr/local/games by default. I was then asked for the root password (I don''t have one) so I have to run 'kdesu konqueror' to access the file. I could have tried to install in into /home/rowan/doom3 but was unsure about the link path so chose the default.

Here are the results that you requested:

[rowan@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf |grep -i driver

Driver "keyboard"

Driver "mouse"

Driver "fglrx"

# === FireGL DDX driver module specific settings ===

Driver "ati"

[rowan@localhost ~]$ fglrxinfo

fglrxinfo: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

[rowan@localhost ~]$ fgl_glxgears

fgl_glxgears: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

[rowan@localhost ~]$

I have tried to ascertain what is wrong with libGL.so.1 but to no avail.

When I tried to install the game it was installed into /usr/local/games by default. I was then asked for the root password (I don''t have one) so I have to run 'kdesu konqueror' to access the file.

If you don't have a root password, what do you use for kdesu konqueror?

You should have a symlink in /usr/local/bin for doom3 to the shell script in /usr/local/games/doom3, so as user (not root) you can start it with doom3... please try.

I'm not sure how you did this, but your system is trying to use two video drivers. In a terminal, do

XFdrake

and set up you graphics card again. When it asked if you want to use the proprietary driver, answer 'yes'. You could alternatively open the conf with

kdesu kwrite /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and comment out the 'Driver "ati"' and leave the 'Driver "fglrx"', then restart the Xserver with Ctrl + Alt + backspace.

fglrxinfo: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Could it be that the lib is called libGL.so.0, but are looking for libGL.so.1?

Thanks all. Greg when I tried XFdrake and used 'test' my system went blank and so I had to reboot my system twice. I also found that XFdrake put resolution at 800x600 with 16 million colours - I originally specified 65,000. I assume that the system knows best.

In the end I decided that I don''t have the time to mess about trying to get it set up to actually work so I have reinstalled 2006 and everything suddenly works correctly and at the first attempt. I am currently playing Doom3 and Quake4 in all their glory.

I am sorry to waste your time but I just got fed up with all the problems that 2008.0 was causing and I will seriously think twice before I update to a newer version. If I ever do upgrade it will be to a paid-for commercial version and not a free download one. I do have a niggling suspicion that some of my graphics problems might (just might) have been caused by the graphics card selection - 2008 grouped my ATI card in the Radeon group with some other cards while 2006 instantly recognised my card (Radeon 9700 Pro) individually and set it up accordingly. As I said this is only my opinion.

There were also some other things that were starting to get up my nose but, as they say, 'it is now history'.

PS: I have just done fgl_glxgears as you requested and here are the 2006 results.

[rowan@localhost ~]$ fgl_glxgears

Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer

3630 frames in 5.0 seconds = 726.000 FPS

3899 frames in 5.0 seconds = 779.800 FPS

5010 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1002.000 FPS

5019 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1003.800 FPS

5025 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1005.000 FPS

5015 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1003.000 FPS

4997 frames in 5.0 seconds = 999.400 FPS

Broken pipe

[rowan@localhost ~]$

Once again thanks for your help.