removing applicatons installed with metapackages

Guest jlseagull

Guest jlseagull

Hello everyone,

I installed the Gnome desktop environment, in my mandriva one KDE system using urpmi task-gnome (I know that I could have used rpmdrake and the gui installer but I like the command line because to my perception it is so much faster :). Anyhow I would like to remove the default KDE desktop to free space on my hard drive, and I see that it is installed, like gnome, via a metapackage. Before posting here, I read a number of other posts pertaining to the removal of the KDE desktop and I have gathered that this is neither an easy nor a straightforward process.

My question is this: since a metapackage is a list of instructions for downloading and installing a large and complex application, could not that same metapackage be used to remove that same application? I tried urpme task-kde and it simply removed the metapackage itself! Is there a way to use metapackages for removal, as opposed to installation?

Unfortunately removal is not as straight forward as installation. In your case you should try to remove kdebase which in turn removes the whole KDE desktop.

There is a separate tool for removing complex transactions called urpmi.recover. It's not installed by default and I never tried it myself but it's reported working nicely.

Guest jlseagull

Thanks for your advice Dexter. I definitely do not want to remove the KDE desktop in a manner that might remove files shared with Gnome, and thus cripple my installation. I notice that I do not get the option to reboot or switch off the computer from the Gnome desktop. I have to log out of the Gnome session and switch off from the login screen. I noticed the same peculiarity some time ago, when I was experimenting with the os that I consider to be Mandriva's youthful offspring, pclinuxos. The gnome edition of pclos does give the option of rebooting or powering down from the desktop, but if the gnome desktop is installed on the KDE version, one is only given the option of logging out, and powering down has to be done from the login screen.

I am a beginner when it comes to linux and therefore I am treading carefully for now. Of all the linux distros I have ever used, I like Mandriva and Pclos the most, because these two distros show the most promise of going mainstream. I like the easily available documentation for mandriva which allows me to resolve a lot of issues for myself.I know that I have gone off the topic, but I will download and check out the application that was suggested, until then, bye for now