samba for idiots?

VeeDubb

You could try using webmin, if you installed it on your system. If not, just open up the software installer and search for webmin, install, and then point your browser to https://127.0.0.1:10000

you can set up a lot of servers through that. that's what i used to set up samba :-)

I'm running mdk9.0, I had heard to many people having problems with 9.1, so when I bought a boxed set, I went back a release and got 9.0, it's been very stable for me. I tried webmin, the problem is that while it's a litle faster than editing samba.conf manualy, it doesn't require any less knowledge. I will check out swat.

Please guys, if you are considering doing anything substantial with samba, don't use SWAT.

The reason is that SWAT removes all comments from the config file, and IMHO there are some *very* good examples in there.

And, IMHO, ksambaplugin is much better than SWAT anyway.

If you really need a tool to configure samba remotely (besides ssh, vi and 'man smb.conf'), use webmin (which does not remove comments).

I have made RPMs of ksambaplugin for 9.0, available at http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/9.0

ksambaplugin is in contribs of 9.1 (which is what people are seeing in the KDE Control Center BTW).

Anyway, for the most part, you should really not need to do too much samab configuration, and you should be able to share directories from either Nautilus or Konqueror if you allowed it in the Mandrake Control Center, or in the Samba tab in Konqueror if you installed ksambaplugin.

All printers should be shared by default.

All you *need* to do is set each user's samba password:

# smbpasswd -a <username>

(their unix account must exist already, and the username should preferably match the username they use in windows)

Okay, I removed webmin and installed the kdepluggin. It seems like im' choosing all the right things, but it's just not happening.

So, now I'm begging for answers.

I have a Windows XP computer on the network. I want that computer to be able to acces the files in /home/ and use all the printers. The user on that computer loggs in and Halei A. Hargrove with no password. She also logs onto the mandrake bo the same way. Can somebody tell me exactly what settings I need? i want as litle security as possible under linux. I have only a couple PC's on the home netwrok and security on the Lan side just isn't an issue. Right now the workgroup name for both is set to HOME. THe laptops name is ULLYSES

Hi VeeDubb,

I'm stuggling to do a similar thing and think I'm about half way there, so the following might be of some help.

Win98 (don't have XP)

Make sure LMHOST.SAM or equivilent is filled in with IP and name of the linux box at least. (This I only realised after many hours)

Mandrake

Make sure /etc/samba/lmhosts is filled out likewise

also /etc/hosts

Then from Ksambaconfig tool I set share level security then ticked browsable, guest and available for each directory I want to share. I dont have any passwords set.

For the printer connected to Mandrake add /var/spool/samba to the path setting, tick allow any users and map guest to nobody (default settings I think).

I only just got the printer to work from windows. I uninstalled all printers the started again choosing the network printer.

Also, I don't know if I had to do this but in the users tab of sambaconfig I moved accross the nobody user to the users column.

Finally, it seems to work, CUPS shows user 'nobody' when I print from Win98. I can mount the windows directorys (using LinNeigbourhood) and I can see my /home on the windows machine.

Sorry if these tips are a bit vague but I don't really know what I am doing :?

Let me know how it goes, and what errors if any you get. I'm sure I've had them as well.

Mike

One more thing, i've just wasted another two hours to find this out..

I was trying to get another win 98 machine to use the linux printer. I removed all installed printers, waited for spool32 to crash then rebooted!

Now, when you install a printer and select network printer don't browse to the printer but type it in manually in capitals ie HOSTNAMEPRINTERNAME

For me at least, everytime I selected the printer from the network browse window it messed up and would not print. As soon as I typed it in as above during the printer install it was fine.

A good place to see what may be going wrong are the log files in /var/log/samba

Mike