screen rotate

Guest bjr

I seem to be a rare bird with a flat screen that rotates. Mandriva (which I've only just started) has a feature (applet? I don't know the jargon) which allows to configure the screen to rotate (and resize it). Knoppix and Suse have this too, its called krandr. Only trouble is, when I tried it it seems to be non-functioning.

Any answers ?

PS I really recommend the portrait mode of working.

xrandr does rotate the display, but you will find that the touchpad/mouse does not rotate with the screen. So you will have to move your wrist right-left in order to get the cursor moving up-down, to me it's a bit tricky.

A guy recently brought me a laptop with Vista OS, on which he had accidentally flopped the display, and could not get it straight because of that very same reason! :P

Finally I managed to turn it upside-down, but I did have to do some weird mouse gymnastics first... Any way- the question is: Does Linux try to immitate all windows annoyances on purpose, or it's just a coincidence? :D

Edited by scarecrow

Any way- the question is: Does Linux try to immitate all windows annoyances on purpose, or it's just a coincidence? :D

Unfortunately, this comment highlights a bitter trend - For some reason, translucent menus and rotating cubes are more important than, for instance, detecting a modem. The Linux community quietly conceded a defeat here. On my ThinkPad, Mandriva did not even mark the modem as an unknown device. But I am sure it is there, since I have a port to connect to a phone line.

Eh? What does 'eye-candy' have to do with hardware detection? Are you saying that the very same people who provide eye-candy i.e. compiz-fusion are the same people who deal with hardware detection? Although the ability to 'screen-rotate' might seem like a novelty, for some people it has 'real world' use. It's not only unfair, but wrong to mix the two different camps together.

It seems to me that, if these problems affect many then they get serious attention.

This site might be of use to you: http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

consider using xrandr from cli.

Thanks for the suggestion -but what is 'cli' ? Pardon my ignorance, as a newcomer. For the other readers, when I tried Portrait Software's Windows equivalent (about $50) it took care of the pointer problem and I found the portrait mode so easy in all respects.

Hear, hear to the guy who complains about modem compatibility, that is my gripe at the moment. Mandriva doesn't allow any of my attempts to set up the internet connection with my external modem, hence I am having to use my Windows machine to take part in this discussion.

...Mandriva doesn't allow any of my attempts to set up the internet connection with my external modem.
That surprises me, normally an external modem is preferable when using Linux. What make is it?

Hear, hear to the guy who complains about modem compatibility, that is my gripe at the moment. Mandriva doesn't allow any of my attempts to set up the internet connection with my external modem, hence I am having to use my Windows machine to take part in this discussion.

Is it a dialup or a cable/DSL modem? Neither had given me any trouble in the past, I was referring to integrated onboard dialup modems (so called WinModems) which are part of many laptops.

That surprises me, normally an external modem is preferable when using Linux. What make is it?

My modem is rather anonymous but the significant point to me is that it works fine with Ubuntu when I boot that up on the other hard-drive of that machine so I do blame Mandriva. Drakconnect comes up with '..doesn't seem to be connected to the Internet' with all of COM1 to 8 attempts to configure manually. COM1 makes the modem play the 'music', the others produce silence. Now I'm wondering about prefixes to the (UK) telephone number of my ISP - there may just be an issue there. I'm fast running out of patience and inspiration !