Easy network printing question

VeeDubb

I'm sure I shouldn';t even need to ask this one, but......

I have my mandrake box setup as the server for all the comps in my house. I have shares and internet and all that stuff configured (finaly) but I need some help with the printer. I have a printer connected to my mandrake box via USB. THe domain is localhost.locldomain and the IP for my mandrake box is 192.168.1.1

WHat should the URL be for my printer???

THanks

Let me give some more info.

I hae enabled port 631 on my router and in etc/shorewall/rules

I have restarted shorewall, no errors

The computer I want to set-up for printer over the network is a windows box. When I open the dialog to setup a network printer, I am asked for a URL: I put in 192.168.1.1:631 and hit next. An error box poped-up saying "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified has lost it's connection to the server. For more infor, click help"

I also tried http://192.168.1.1:631 made no differnce

Does it make any differenc that it's a USB printer? perhaps 631 is the wrong port?

What you need to do is set up your printer as a samba share. Then you browse to your linux box from network neighbourhood and double click on your printer from there. This should then let you setup your printer. If you need help setting up a printer using samba just ask. You do not need access to port 631 for this.

Let me give some more info.

The computer I want to set-up for printer over the network is a windows box.

Could you be more specific? Only some versions of windows support ipp ... for the rest you need samba (which isn't difficult to setup, but you would need to open ports 137-139).