SMB Problem with Shutdown

Guest Rab22

Guest Rab22

Hello everyone,

Please excuess me if this is a stupid question but it's really getting annoying now. I SMB mount my Win2k computer's full HDD onto this computer running MDK 9.1. I have had no problems doing it before. The system boots up fine and mounts it properly. The problem is during system shutdown. I get this weird couple errors about length=5 and such and it happens to lock up my system. If you guys need the error I'll actually shutdown and find out and post it again, however I haven't wrote it down yet, I'm just thinking I'm doing something stupid. Sometimes what's odd though is that it works just fine. Then other times it goes it can't and causes it to hang. It'll eventually restart but it can take up to anywhere from 2 minutes to 10 (I actually hard rebooted it there). Anyways, if any of you guys have an idea as to what could cause this problem and how to fix it, I'd greatly apperciate it.

My fstab entry for the SMB Share-

//celeron/C$ /mnt/celeron smbfs user,credentials=/etc/samba/auth.celeron.admin 0 0

[/code]

Guest Rab22

Sorry, forgot to add something. Also before the errors happens SMB and NMB shuts down properly BEFORE this error. That's why I find it so odd that it gives me such errors, SMB shouldn't even be active.

HI Rab22

Welcome $HOME !

Go in the MCC (Mandrake Control Center) and click 'System' and 'Services'. Now find 'Samba' or 'SMB' or 'NMB'. If you find any of those, uncheck the box. That should prevent the service to start at boot and having problems to shutdown when .. hum .. shutdown. Let's see what is going on now. Note the exact error on a piece of paper .. that always helps :wink: and post it here it this still happens

MOttS

Guest Rab22

Well I want it to auto mount the share so wouldn't SMB have to be on? Plus the problem doesn't happen with SMB or NMB during shutdown, it gives an "OK" status for shutdown, it's when the system says "Killing all ..." and then it starts spiting out messages...I'll restart and try and get the errors for ya and post back soon.

Thx for the reply btw :)

Anyway I don't think you need to run SMB (and NMB) to mount Windows share do ya? This service is required to run if you want to run a Samba server. Do you run one? Turn those services down and see if you still get the error. If you still get it then post the exact error here so that an expert (not me !) look at it..

MOttS

Guest Rab22

Ohhh? I was under the impression that you'd need the services running to actually be able to browse the shares. Ooops.

Well I got a few of the errors, however I'm unable to get ALL the errors these are the errors

At first everything starts to shutdown and then I get the error "Unmounting SMB Filesystems: Umount:/mnt/celeron/ - device is busy"

I get this again and then I recieve the KILL ALL signal and after that I get these errors before restarting

smb_get_length: recv error=5

smb_trans2_request: result = <something goes here but I can't write it down in time>

<couple more that flash by during reboot, can't find them in any logs though> .

Any ideas?

Ohhh? I was under the impression that you'd need the services running to actually be able to browse the shares. Ooops.

You would need SMB running if you would browse your Linux shares in a Windows environment.

At first everything starts to shutdown and then I get the error "Unmounting SMB Filesystems: Umount:/mnt/celeron/ - device is busy" 

I get this again and then I recieve the KILL ALL signal and after that I get these errors before restarting

smb_get_length: recv error=5

smb_trans2_request: result =  <something goes here but I can't write it down in time>

<couple more that flash by during reboot, can't find them in any logs though> . 

Any ideas?

If you get those errors while the system boots then they are not _errors_. They are basically _logs_ explaining what is going on while the kernel is trying to mount the shares. Just forget about that... This is not dangerous .. don't worry. Finally, if you can't find them in logs, this is one more point for me.

Anyone have something about those logs? .. I don't mount Windows shares when my system boots so I can't really help sorry.

MottS

Guest Rab22

Well it's more of the fact I get the "device busy" and it takes forever for the system to reboot that's the problem. If those error messages area lways there I wouldn't mind as long as the system restated nicely and I didn't get the "device busy". I know that something is wrong -- but even if I could just get the system to reboot quickly I wouldn't mind :D

Thanks for the posts :)

Guest Rab22

Yea, I already read the FAQ, and I typically don't have anything running off the partition for I've already checked. It worked fine on MDK 9.0 and a previous MDK 9.1 install however now it doesn't seem to :(. I don't know what happened during this install, something different though.