glibc2.3??

I'm sorry to ask what is probably a dumb question, but where can I get this? I have mandrake 9.0 with glib2.2 and I need 2.3 for a program I'm trying to use. Also, anything special I need to do to install it?

Sadly, it is a need. I'm trying to install SynCE from http://synce.sourceforge.net/synce and it won't let me install without glibc2.3

This program is not optional for me. I spent about $500.00 (A gigantic investment for me) on my PocketPC. I can't sync my PocketPC, transfer files to and from it, or install software to it without SynCE, so it's a must.

Also, is there any harm in forcing it to install without glibc2.3? I realize it may not work correctly with 2.2, but will I actualy hurt anything?

THanks.

download the development version. It says it includes headers, etc. I imagine it provides source (or look for a src.rpm) --- try to compile it yourself with glibc 2.2

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...highlight=glibc

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...highlight=glibc

Well can you upgrade to 9.1?

Forcing the install is a lot safer than upgrading glibc. Don't get me wrong....it can and has been done....all the time, but you just have to make sure ALL deps are met....and don't force anythging. The way I did it on a test install (cooker) of 9.0 was to put all the dep pkgs in a dir>add them to urpmi sources>drop out of X into init 3/console>

urpmi <pkg_name> <pkg_name> <pkg_name> <pkg_name>

Have fun!

...and  DON'T use rh pkgs.

I don't want to take this thread OT, but I also don't want to give bad advice. Why not use RH packages? I use them all the time and haven't encountered any problems. I assumed that if there were any dangers in them, installing them would cause errors and not install.

Well, if you were installing an rpm/s, and next to the kernel they were the single most important/system critical rpms, and you had a chioce between rh, and mdk rpms. What would you choose? This is not an app, it essentially IS, along with the kernel, linux....it is the core of libs...heh..king of the libs :wink:

Put another way: you're not installing an app that may not work....your installing your OS which may not work :shock: :wink:

Well, it looks like I definately won't be messing with glibc2.3 directly. I'm just too new to linux to mess with it. I'll try compiling from source first and if tht does n't work, I guess I'll upgrade to 9.1 I just hate doing that now. I just got 9.0 working right on my system. One question: I have the 9.0 powerpack installed, and just about every package that was available on the CD's is on my computer. Could I just download the first install ISO and do an upgrade install to update the kernel and important libs? or do I realy NEED the first two?

• 3 weeks later...

Be careful.

I have the same problem, i want to install GLIBC2.3 for a few programs.

Once you get the glibc2.3 rpm it starts a string of dependencies.

DON'T be tempted to force a RPM install of GLIBC. I speak from experience. It does NOT work. I lost everything on my linux partition. Fortunately i keep my files on my Winblows partition so they are accessible in both.

A workaround is to download the source for a program and compile yourself. A few instructions are below.

Good luck

rcxau

I am a newbie too, it seems daunting but is really simple. Most times all you need to do is open a console and cd to the directory whre you downloaded the source source tar.gz and type

tar -xzvf sourcefilename.tar.gz

look for the readme file with konqueror or your favorite text editor (for me joe or jpico)and it will normally contain instructions. A compile and install is usually to cd to the directory you expanded the tar.gz to then

make

Might need to su and type in your root password and then

make install

[/i]