does no-ip ever flake out for anyone else? (turn into spam?)

Peep

i've been using no-ip to track my dynamic IP for a few weeks, but tonight i noticed it wasn't working anymore, and instead of forwarding to my website it either times out, or forwards to one of those spam web-search sites. i know apache is working because i can see pages from inside my lan or if i enter my IP directly.

is this a common problem? or has my no-ip address somehow been taken over by a spammer?

I run no-ip also and sometimes it sucks for multiple reasons.

1) Their dsn server have problems

2) Depending what is the INTERVAL variable set to in no-ip.conf, you may have changed your IP and the dns server don't know this yet.

3) Are you sure noip is running on your machine?

[root@localhost gd]# pidof noip

If you get nothing then noip isn't running :-(

MOttS

well, noip2 was running, but it still didn't work. i kept trying to figure it out, and ended up rebooting (old windows habits die hard). that seemed to work... so i guess for now the problem is solved. still not quite sure how that "hotsearch10000" thing was taking my noip name.

ended up rebooting (old windows habits die hard)

Bad habbit man .. bad bad :banghead:

Why you just didn't

[root@localhost gd]# pidof noip 

[root@localhost gd]# kill 31987

[root@localhost gd]# service noip start

OR

[root@localhost gd]# service noip restart

.. well, do you run noip as a service or just the plain binary?

MOttS

after looking at this a bit more, i'm confused. :oops:

i hadn't rebooted since i installed noip a few weeks ago. (i had used it before, but decided to reinstall everything, so i started over). i had started noip2 as a binary to make sure it was working, then put the script that the readme says to put in /etc/init.d/rc5.d (is that the right spot for my startup dir?) after my reboot this morning, i had to manually restart noip2--it didn't start up by itself like it should have, so i must have that script in the wrong spot.

i actually ended up rebooting primarily because things were locking up like crazy. the only thing i did differently yesterday was i plugged in a usb CF reader for the first time, which i had great difficulty unmounting... i think that may have caused the lockup somehow. i ended up having X freeze completely, so i did a ctrl-alt-F1 and then "shutdown -r now".

so the main question now is... where do i put that noip2 startup script?

so the main question now is... where do i put that noip2 startup script?

Well, that script isn't really 'mandrake' friendly. Here is mine.

#!/bin/sh

# chkconfig: 2345 91 16

# description: IP updater for httpd

. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

case "$1" in

start)

echo -n "Starting noip: "

/usr/local/bin/noip

echo
;;

stop)

echo -n "Shutting down noip: "

killproc -TERM /usr/local/bin/noip

echo
;;

status)

status noip
;;

*)

echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|status}"

exit 1

esac

exit 0

Play with it as you wish. Then put it in /etc/init.d/ and run 'chkconfig noip reset'. This will place shortcuts at the right place. For more info read the following link:

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/admin/aservice.html

HTH

MottS

ok, i'm making progress. i used your script except changed 'noip' to 'noip2' and put the script in /etc/init.d and named it noip2. 'chkconfig noip2 reset' seems to go ok (no errors), but in MCC it says that noip2 is stopped, and if i try to start it, it says "cannot find noip2 service". what did i miss?

I installed noip (not noip2) at /usr/local/bin/noip so that might be your problem. Check the script carefully and modify the path to the binary. Do

[gd@localhost gd]$ which noip

/usr/local/bin/noip

to know the path of the executable. Forget about the MCC (I hate GUI !!).. in a console as root type

service noip2 status

service noip2 start

service noip2 status

The first time you ask the status of noip2 you should get 'service stoped' or something like that. The second line will start noip2 and the third line will check if noip is really started.

Good luck!

MOttS

got it. i hadn't changed the permissions of the script "noip2", so i couldn't execute it. i'm still getting the hang of some of these things-- i mainly figured it out because in shell everything else had an asterisk next to it and i did the "one of these things is not like the other" game, eventually figuring it out

thanks for the help and the link up above. 8)