How to get a "dos-mode" black screen?

mdg

I'm having some trouble getting something simple done. I want to experiment with vi and I want it to be in a text only black full screen (like the dos prompt, for those who remember)

I would like to be able to type something in a console and get to this stage, but the things I've tried haven't worked eg init 3 in console

I'm using lilo with graphics and autologin. If I disable autologin and use lilo text menu, I still have the graphical splashscreen

How do I get a full black screen?

Ctrl-Alt-F2 should get you to a Virtual Terminal login. If not, try Ctrl-Alt-F3, etc. Once you get there and login, you can type:

clear

to get rid of the penguin.

Ctrl-Alt-F7 should bring you back to your WindowManager/Desktop (if not, try other combinations as above).

Guest JaseP

For future reference it's called a console screen. Equating Linux command line with DOS is like calling "chocolate flavering" chocolate.

Steve showed you how to get to a virtual console from X, but you also brought this up:

I'm using lilo with graphics and autologin. If I disable autologin and use lilo text menu, I still have the graphical splashscreen

How do I get a full black screen?

If you want to boot to runlevel 3, then you need to change this line in /etc/inittab:

id:

to

id:

You can also do it on a case by case basis when you boot, generally by giving a command such as linux 3 at the lilo boot prompt, or linux-2.5.65 3 -- what you need to type is distro specific, so you'll need to find the mandrake way.