It wont install?!?!?!?

Guest PhilLeeke

ok. let's try this. open up the ms-dos prompt, type in

ftp ftp.mandrakeusers.com [hit enter]

cd pub [hit enter]

cd MDK-9.1-ISO [hit enter]

get *.iso [hit enter]

it should then download all 3 iso files. for some reason your web browser isn't handling *.iso files correctly. WinRAR probably associated them with itself for whatever retarded reason.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that's because winrar (in its infinite wisdom) wants to take over the mime type of .iso file as .rar. Just like it taking over compression schemes, such as .zip, .ace .lzh, and so on.

Anyway.. just let it save, even though it wants to save as a .rar file. You can still rename the file later to delete the .rar extension and then check the md5sum.

Don't forget to burn it as a slow speed as possible.. 4x max.. Yeah it may take longer but it's safer.. I have found that cds burned at 8x and up is much more prone to installation problems (due to the install program cannot find this file or whatnot).

it shouldn't really matter what they called.

don't unpack them with winrar

what are using to burn your cd's ??? nero? win on cd? ahead ?

either way tell the software that you want to burn an existing image (iso image) and use the files that you have downloaded

Guest PhilLeeke

This must be getting on your nerves by now.

I tried to do what you just told with the MS-DOS, but it asked me for a "PASSWORD"???????

Would I be able to download it through my FTP App. I use WS_FTP Pro

Thanks for all you help so far.

Sure, it's ftp after all..

Anyway, just in case you didn't know.. anonymous login usually require you to enter your email address as password (not that they check). Graphical FTP client usually automatically send your email address when you choose anonymous ftp.

Guest PhilLeeke

Well, it looks like my FTP App is managing to download the "iso" thingy. I'm downloading it into a folder on my desktop. When that is done do I just have to burn it onto a CD-R?

Also, would it help if I knocked the WinRAR app on the head? (I can always reinstall it later once I've got the iso thingies sorted out)

To answer an earlier question, I am using Iomega's HotBurn for burning my CD-Rs

Guest PhilLeeke

Thanks cannonfodder for the advice.

Funny thing is I can never get that smartftp to go all that fast, it's doesn't seem to want to go above 89kbps. On the other hand, the WS_FTP Pro I use usually does around the 690 to 730kbps!

I've heard loads of good things about the smartftp, but for the life of me, I don't see what's so great about it compared to the WS_FTP version.

You should give it a go, it's at www.ipswitch.com

Cheers

Guest PhilLeeke

Hopefully this will be the last time I have to bother you lot regarding this matter.

Right, I'm managing to download the ISO thingies and the seem to be staying as ISOs and not get zapped into RARs. Great :D

Now, do I just have to burn these ISOs onto CD-Rs as they are, or do I have to do something to them before hand :?:

Then is it just a case of rebooting with CD1 in the drive :?:

Thanks

Guest anon

Whatever program you use to burn them, make sure you choose the ISO file option, or image files, don't just drag and drop. In other words, when you navigate to the folder you saved the ISOs, type of file in the drop down box says ISO or image files.

Insert CD1 and away you go.

Note. Sometimes when you down-load large files, problems can occur, thats what the md5sum is for, to check the file size is correct etc. If the install does not work properly, see the posts above which contain the md5sum file. There is also a program for testing it in windoze on the ftp site. ( If you need it)

Good luck, should be a breeze.

Guest PhilLeeke

Yep, it's me again!

I've just done a "CREATE" with the MD5sums thingy.

It asked me to choose the folder and file, so I choose the "MandrakeLinux-9.1-CD1-inst.i586.iso" file. After a bit this came up "6f1581974e12420fef87868ed6caa31f" and it asked me to save, so I did.

Is all this correct :?: :?: :?: Or have I f***ed up :?: :?: :?:

Guest anon

I have never had to use the md5sum myself, my d-loads have always been good, but that md5sum is correct for CD1 . If you go to the folder on the ftp site, you will see it matches,

ftp://ftp.mandrakeusers.com/pub/MDK-9.1-I.../md5sums.91.asc

So, your ready to go. Insert CD1 into the drive and reboot.

Don't worry about what packages to install, you can add more later.

You will find lots of Docs about various topics on this site, and the ftp site.

Let us know how it goes.

Guest PhilLeeke

:cry: Well I've done everything like it should be done. Burnt the ISO thingy to a disc. Put it into the drive. Rebooted. Guess what?! Nothing happened. Just the same old thing. Mr. Gates still rears his ugly moosh on my screen. All the BIOS setting are correct. The disc shows that there is a file caled .ISO etc. :cry::cry::cry:

I really can't work it out.

Sorry.

This XP is really getting my back up. :evil:

he disk shouldn't have just a file called .iso on it. it should have directories and stuff, you want a "burn from image" option when you burn the CD.

what program are you using to burn the CD?