Overclocking the beast within ::shudder::

Guest fubar::chi

I just overclocked my athlon xp 2000+ to a 2200+ (1783 MHz) and I'm wondering 1) what type of cooling setup I need to go higher and B) how the heck do I connect more than on fan to the mobo. All the fan connections are now used. There's one for the processor and another for the whole case.

I'm willing to put two more, at most three in there but I need to know how to connect 'em first. Any ideas.

I'm pretty sure i'll need better cooling if i'm to go higher because I tried seting up at 2400+ (2000 Mhz my ultimate goal) and crap happened. The monitor made that sound it makes, the screen went and everything else seemed to be moving along its merry way.

Thanks

they may've gone down but i don't have that much money to begin with, i'm also looking at ddr-ram and a 120 gb hard drive so i'll stay with fans for now.

How would I connect them directly to the psu?

What kind of Athlon XP do you have? If it is palomino core, then I'm afraid you are pretty much at the end of your overclockability, even with serious cooling.

Me, I have a thoroughbred B. Unlocked from manufacturer and can overclock like a beast. There are many examples of T-Bred B 1700+ that can go beyond the 2200 Mhz limit (11x200 fsb) with the right heatsink, ram, and motherboard combination. I actually boot up for a week at 1920 Mhz (11.5x166) but cannot go higher because of my ram.

Anyway, I suggest you go to Anandtech forums at http://forums.anandtech.com

The case and cooling section and the cpu & overclocking section are particularly good at giving you ideas of how to solve your cooling problem.

Anyway, for fans, you can hookup case fans to regular power lines, you know.. the one used for hard disks. You probably need a power line splitter and you cannot monitor the fan, but who cares about that? Then you can take a jigsaw and dremmel and create some holes on the side of the case and the back and slap the fans over there.

You can buy case fans which are fitted with the same plugs that connect between the hard drive or floppy drive and the PSU. I can't help you as to where to get them from, I don't live in the USA.

If you have access to old computer parts, you can use a PSU fan, cut off the connectors and wire it to one of the HD/PSU plugs. Makes a good case fan

You can buy cheap fans which run on 12 v dc. You can hook them up to the psu 12 v supply such as the one that goes in the hardisk.

You can also buy more silent and reliable ac fans. I have two in my case and they run at 220 v and very silent. One is a three inch fan and one is a 5 or 6 inch or something fan.

But to cool your cpu you should try to put a 7000 rpm fan on the cpu heatsink. You can also make a watercooled sytem if you have any time.

There are lots of ideas and suggestions at www.overclockers.com

Regards

Kunal