Software installation in gentoo

Thought I'd start a fresh thread for this one... :wink:

Simple question - although I can't find the answer anywhere. I understand that gentoo is based on downloading and compiling the source, but what do you do if you want to install an open source package that is not in portage? If I simply downloaded and compiled it would this not defeat the object of no dependency hell, optimisation and also might it not affect the database of what is and what isn't installed?

For example, I really would like to install clanbomber, but it's not in the portage tree - so how should I go about doing it in a way that keeps my system as clean as possible?

Please don't tell me to write an ebuild script - I'm only just getting to grips with this as it is!

personally, i'd just grab the source and compile it. if you run into any library dependencies, most likely they are in the portage tree. and no, i don't see this as cluttering up your system or anything. all emerge is is a program to keep track of what sources have been installed from the portage tree.

Please don't tell me to write an ebuild script - I'm only just getting to grips with this as it is!

That would be the easiest solution really. Read one from /usr/portage/whatever and create you own. Replace the source download by the clanbomber website and replace the dependencies by those needed by the prog .. and so on. Now uncommant PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage in /etc/make.conf and put your new clanbomber.whateverversion.ebuild in (let's say) /usr/local/portage/app-game/clanbomber/. Now cd to that directory and type 'digest clanbomber.whateverversion.ebuild'. That should create a new file in /usr/local/portage/app-game/clanbomber/files. You can now as root 'emerge clanbomber' ..

Another thing you could do is to check their website and look for which dependencies are required. Then try to emerge those dependencies. Finally build clanbomber somewhere in your $HOME directory (let's say /home/phunny/Programs/ClanBomber) by typing './configure && make'. Just don't do the 'make install' .. the executable should stay there and let your system 'clean'. Execute it from there now. However, sometimes, programs are too complicated to be executed from $HOME (they need libraries that are supposed to be somewhere .. and all that).

But the best solution is really to build your own ebuild. I can help you if you want...

MOtts

OK - installed all the dependecies via portage (hermes, clanlib) and went to compile clanbomber - got the following result:

make[3]: Entering directory `/home/paul/Downloads/Source/clanbomber-1.02a/clanbomber'

g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..     -O6 -c Disease_Fast.cpp

In file included from Disease_Fast.cpp:19:

ClanBomber.h:105: friend declaration requires class-key, i.e. `friend struct 

Debug'

make[3]: *** [Disease_Fast.o] Error 1

make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/paul/Downloads/Source/clanbomber-1.02a/clanbomber'

make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/paul/Downloads/Source/clanbomber-1.02a/clanbomber'

make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/paul/Downloads/Source/clanbomber-1.02a'

make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

I'm not sure how to resolve this - anyone got any thoughts?

But the best solution is really to build your own ebuild.  I can help you if you want...

MOtts

OK - I guess the point of installing gentoo was primaily to learn so I guess I shouldn't shy away from it.

There are a few other things I want to sort out first , but I'll come back to this and take you up on your offer to help

BTW - my current problems are:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=52498

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=52452

If anyone can make any suggestions regarding these issues then that would be great :-)

Edit: the first of these problems is solved - if I can just get games and printing working then I will be a happy man! :)