problems installing

Guest nick2003

Guest nick2003

Ive got mandrake already on one system but then i tryed to put it on the other and it installed all the way but during the first boot up it shuts off the monitor and goes black, tryed installing again in text mode but freezes during installation, also just tryed installing again in graphical installation mode but it freezes with only 1 minute left of installation, any ideas whats went wrong? thanks :(

NOpe, need a LOT more info than that. In fact, that is some of the least important infor. What is the hard drive configuration?

What brand and model is the motherboard?

what sound card?

what video card?

Wht peripherals?

etc.

Guest nick2003

epox EP - 8K5A2 motherboard

onboard sound

ati radeon (just the regular radeon i think, its kinda old)

not sure what you mean about hardrive configuration but it only has the linux on it that im trying to install, only 1 hardrive and a linux partion along with a swap partition

network card and thats about all, hope this helps thanks :D

WHat about periferals? USB devices and the like. Nothing in the hardware you listed would sugest a problem to me. You might try configuring the bios differently. Make sure Plug n' play or "PnP" OS is dissabled in BIOS if it's an option. If that doesn't help make sure that Advanced power management is turned off also.

If none of that does you any good, come on back and those with more knowledge than me can probably figure it out.

Look at the first boot sequence, and get the brand of the hard drive. Better yet, hit f1 and you'll have more time to see what brand it is.

My guess so far is the video card and/or the hard drive. Knowing the specifics might help get a work around and a successful install. :wink:

Guest nick2003

Hi, my hardrive is a western digital 7200 rpm 40 gb ide and my video card is a ATI radeon sdr (PCI) and i dont have anything else hooked up besides my cordless keyboard and mouse, thanks :)

Which version of mandrake do you have? Have you read the errata for that particular version of mandrake?

Another thing I can think of is that your installation cd is either corrupted or scratched so it doesn't complete the installation properly.

Guest nick2003

its 9.1, its possible that its scratched because i installed it on my friends pc and i cant get the cdrom to really work with it, it wont install anything from the cd it just starts spining in the cdrom then stops and repeats over and over, and when i try to get files off a diffrent cd it says that its stalled, any idea what the problem with that could be? i had a problem installing it on this pc to, what happend is when i went to the graphical installation everything went black so i had to install it with the text only installation :(

Do an md5sum check on the drive you're trying to install it with.

Also, you may want to make sure you set up the BIOS the right way.

plug and play OS: no

shadow video bios: no

(and then possibly some more that I don't remember)

Make sure you don't overclock the system in any way.