New XFree thread-gcc warning on rebuilding questions

I just rebuilt XFree86-4.3 srpm again, with the following flags:

optflags: athlon -O3 -march=athlon-xp -mmmx -msse -m3dnow -falign-functions=64 -fprefetch-loop-arrays -mfpmath=sse,387 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -ffast-math -fforce-addr -fno-strength-reduce

I've done it 5 times, changing the flags slightly, but every time I get gcc warnings like below, or similar. No matter how many or how few warnings I get, the rebuild of the srpm goes to completion with no errors, and writes all the new athlon-xp rpms, just like before when I did it weeks ago. I haven't installed them yet, as I already have rebuilt for athlon XFree86 which works great- I was just messing with new flags like -fprefetch-loop-arrays -mfpmath=sse,387 -flaign-functions=64, as I read they were specific for athlon-xp, and increased performance. Removing -mfpmath=sse,387 -flaign-functions=64 doesn't eliminate the warnings, and once increased the number.

I've googled for days, and can't find any info on gcc warnings, and which ones are critical, or not. If it was anything other than XFree86, I'd just go ahead and install, and see what happens. One groups list mentioned 90% of them are not going to ruin the build, and can usually be ignored.

My questions are: Just how serious are gcc warnings, and do they mean you should not install the new rpms you rebuild if you get them? Or, are they just that, "warnings," and don't necessarily mean the rebuilding went bad? Does anyone have advice or experience with this, or is there a good article where I could read up on this topic? The gcc manual has only a few sentences, that don't really answer my questions.

Thanks,

wrc1944

TYPICAL WARNINGS DURING THE REBUILD:

rman.c: In function `RTF':

rman.c:2701: warning: string length `583' is greater than the length `509' ISO C89 compilers are required to support

--------------------------------------------------

lcUTF8.c: In function `iconv_cstombs':

lcUTF8.c:1845: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type

lcUTF8.c:1873: warning: pointer targets in passing arg 1 of `wctomb' differ in signedness

-----------------------------------

../../../../../../extras/Mesa/src/tnl_dd/t_dd_vb.c: In function `mga_interp_extras':

../../../../../../extras/Mesa/src/tnl_dd/t_dd_vb.c:343: warning: unused variable `mmesa'

../../../../../../extras/Mesa/src/tnl_dd/t_dd_vb.c: In function `mga_copy_pv_extras':

../../../../../../extras/Mesa/src/tnl_dd/t_dd_vb.c:370: warning: unused variable `mmesa'

---------------------------------------------

In file included from mgavb.c:137:

../../../../../../extras/Mesa/src/tnl_dd/t_dd_vb.c: In function `copy_pv_rgba4_spec5':

../../../../../../extras/Mesa/src/tnl_dd/t_dd_vb.c:52: warning: pointer targets in initialization differ in signedness

--------------------------------------------------------------

mga_xmesa.c: In function `mgaInitDriver':

mga_xmesa.c:129: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness

-----------------------------------------------------------

In file included from radeon_tcl.c:239:

../../../../../../extras/Mesa/src/tnl_dd/t_dd_dmatmp2.h: In function `tcl_render_points_verts':

../../../../../../extras/Mesa/src/tnl_dd/t_dd_dmatmp2.h:117: warning: unused variable `rmesa'

--------------------------------------------------------

radeon_tex.c: In function `radeonAllocTexObj':

radeon_tex.c:193: warning: void format, gl_texture_object arg (arg 4)

radeon_tex.c:193: warning: void format, radeon_tex_obj arg (arg 5)

radeon_tex.c: In function `radeonBindTexture':

radeon_tex.c:567: warning: void format, gl_texture_object arg (arg 4)

radeon_tex.c: In function `radeonDeleteTexture':

radeon_tex.c:585: warning: void format, gl_texture_object arg (arg 4)

-------------------------------------------------

r200_ioctl.c: In function `r200CopyBuffer':

r200_ioctl.c:403: warning: void format, GLcontext arg (arg 4)

----------------------------------------------------

tdfx_context.c: In function `tdfxInitContext':

tdfx_context.c:375: warning: void format, tdfx_context arg (arg 4)

tdfx_context.c: In function `tdfxDestroyContext':

tdfx_context.c:490: warning: void format, tdfx_context arg (arg 4)

tdfx_context.c: In function `tdfxUnbindContext':

tdfx_context.c:532: warning: void format, __DRIcontextPrivate arg (arg 4)

tdfx_context.c: In function `tdfxMakeCurrent':

tdfx_context.c:550: warning: void format, __DRIcontextPrivate arg (arg 4)

tdfx_context.c: In function `tdfxInitGlide':

tdfx_context.c:765: warning: ISO C forbids assignment between function pointer and `void *'

----------------------------

warning: string length `926' is greater than the length `509' ISO C89 compilers are required to support

gcc 3.2 is more strict than previous versions in regards to proper c coding, but as long as there are only warnings and no errors you should be ok.

eg you would probably see warnings in most software, i don't recall seeing any when i rebuilt gcc but that is to be hoped :D