strange desktop-text mode

Guest shortytheeskimo

Guest shortytheeskimo

heya everyone

i've been a mandriva users for little less than a year now, i have a 07 version and is working well until i must have done some stupid thing...

i was trying to get openveoh to work because of some gcc cpp pb and the gcc cpp that was installed on my computer was for mdk 08 so i uninstalled it and installed the previous version with the help of the control center.

i then closed it and went into a konsole but when it came to opening it a message said something like konsole not executable or was unable to open it (something i found VERY strange and knew something was wrong). finding it strange i decided to log out and then log back in.

when i did so, mandriva did not log back into the graphical desktop mode with all my programms and files and so forth... it logged on in the text mode...(where i can see my files when executing 'ls' command which means nothing is lost) i tried relaunching my computer but it just goes back to the text mode...

i dunno what i might have done to mess it up like this... i really would appreciate if someone could help me. i didnt know what i did to make it like this nor how to change it back, obviously uninstalling the C preprocessor unstettled it but i dont know why....

HELP please if anyone might give me a hint or something to go back the way it was....!!

thnx!

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Try running XFdrake from the text mode (you'll need to do an "su" first), and check the screen settings. Change anything that looks odd and try again.

If that doesn't work then maybe something odd has happened with your xorg configuration... what kind of graphics card have you got?

Guest shortytheeskimo

ok i ran the command alright and i have as graphics :ati radeon 9500- X850 (which sounds about right since i have a ati radeon xpress 1100) is it?

as for the monitor it says: flat panel 1360 x 768 which also sounds about right...

everthing seems to be in order

if this is of any help when i turn on computer everything runs smoothly until after the atho connection

is says:

starting rpc.statd FAILED

and no when i try launching it again it just brings it back to the text interface...

what now?

i have as graphics :ati radeon 9500- X850 (which sounds about right since i have a ati radeon xpress 1100) is it?
I'm not familiar with ATI stuff but it might be worth looking to see if there's an alternative ATI option which more closely matches your card number. As a drastic resort you could try setting it to VESA or something else generic and low-res and just seeing if you can bring up the X server - you can change it back to an ATI one later.

if this is of any help when i turn on computer everything runs smoothly until after the atho connection

is says:

starting rpc.statd FAILED

A bit of googling makes me think that that message is unrelated, it sounds like something to do with the file system rather than the X system.

Guest shortytheeskimo

ok, i tried the test with the version of the ati thats close enough:

ati radeon X1300-x850 (while mine is a radeon x1100)

i tried running the test with all the colors and seems to work fine.

now how do i try to bring up the X server... does it have something to do with to Xorg??

i ran the command Xorg right after doing the changes and i now have the blue mandriva screen that shows up right before

showing the desktop... but its seems to be frozen with the little mouse in the shape of an X...

what should i do???

Guest shortytheeskimo
After exiting from the su, try running
startx

If that doesn't work, post the errors here. If all's well, on reboot it should start the X server automatically for you.

ok i did startx and now its a bit wierd, like you have 3/4 of the screen is the mandriva blue and in the top left corner of screen it looks as if i opened a konsole box with the

shorty@shorty$

and when i reboot it... it goes back to the full black screen the text mode.

what should i do?