newbie-prob startup time kde applications

chris:b

I just timed: opening opera from konsole or panelbutton:

less than 4 secs (had already been open), including loading 8 pages from cache.

(see sysspecs below, athlon xp 2400+ with better clocks for faster mem access, but actually a slightly underclocked pci bus; I get hdparm of ~40MB)

I don't bellieve your diskspeed is the culprit here, and I do think your system should do better than 5 secs to launch opera....

Starting konsole takes less than 2 secs (more like one), konqueror takes 3 secs the first time, less than 2 after that.

Any messages when you start anything from konsole/xterm?

BTW:

I have no idea if this is 'normal'? (no, none of my friends are using linux, can't ask..)

Hmm, get some new friends ;) (not instead, just extra... )

When I start a program from the console I don't get any error.

2. start opera: ~ 4 sec (ha!)

I just found a very sweet file named .xsession-error. Its telling me that a certain Mt.Man is born and is looking around to get familiar:

-------------------------------------

startkde: Starting up...

kbuildsycoca running...

mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding

mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding

kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KActionCollection::KActionCollection( QObject *parent, const char *name, KInstance *instance )

WARNING: Mt.Man: Born, looking around to get familiar.

WARNING: Mt.Man: filesystem [none] found by DF is unlisted in /etc/fstab.

kio (KDirWatch): WARNING: KDirWatch::removeDir can't handle ''

KAction::property( "accel" ) failed: property invalid or does not exist

WARNING: Mt.Man: Born, looking around to get familiar.

WARNING: Mt.Man: filesystem [none] found by DF is unlisted in /etc/fstab.

--------------------------------------------

Any idea if that might be a source for more enlightenment?

-anna, whose friends are thinking that she is crazy learning linux, starring at her as if she's a alien

Ok, seems that may be some indication,....

could you post your /etc/fstab here?

Wondering what you have in there.... ;)

BTW I don't have this file .xsession-error so that tells me something... you do have some slight problem on your system/setup...

Since I have no real clue, I do hope some other guys will tune in too..

yo aRtee, here it comes:

dev/hda8 / ext2 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdb,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs iocharset=iso8859-15,ro,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda6 /mnt/win_e vfat iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda3 /mnt/win_h vfat iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

none /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0

/dev/hda7 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd /mnt/cdrecorder auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0

hm, no man looking around in there. btw i did'nt edit the fstab manually, but i know the last line came in there when i setup k3b some days ago.

-anna

I remember someone saying to watch your fstab when setting up k3b....that's all I know on that. The errors in your .xsession-errors are pretty normal....at least I've always gotten them.....It's kde's nature :roll: .

Gnome faster than kde? Use to be...and as far as gtk apps on there own with another wm (fluxbox, icewm) yes, very much so, but I don't think gnome2-2 is any faster (nautilus is a lot faster than it use to be)....maybe even slower. A gnome devel on another board admitted gnome2-2's slowness and said it'll be resolved for 2-4. Or you could get 2-3 but you'd be better to wait for 2-4.

thanks, bvc :)

if this is kde nature I'll let nature go her/its way ...

And yes, the changes after k3d setup didn't affect the startup time.

I don't find the launch times really annoying, i'll stay using kde. Thinking about examening the next weeks my system, got the impression there is something in the background with the soundcard/alsa, maybe with the fonts, don't know yet. Anyway, this is a way to get to know all these fine files as /var/log/messages ...

Thanks everybody for helping !!! You are wonderful, and this board has a marvellous 'sfer' (Dutch for atmosphere).

--anna

I haven't gotten any of those .xsession-error files... unless they are not in /home/[user]/ nor in /var/log/ (didn't look anywhere else).

Anna, just some quick comments (quite unrelated) to your fstab:

You seem to have no /home which may be problematic if you want to do a clean reinstall (mdk 9.2 or beta's and release candidate testing) and your cdrom (dvd?) seems to be slave to your hd; normally it is recommended to put your dvd/cdrom as a slave to your cdburner (it would be /dev/hdd instead of /dev/hdb ). Also, if you want to copy directly from your dvd/cdrom to your burner, you may have to turn on scsi emulation for it too...

So if you feel like it, some small things to improve.... ;)

(Not sure if you really want to go through the efforts though, minor gains only, but you said you'd examine your system in the next weeks... :twisted: )

Ps 'sfer' doesn't show up in my Dutch dictionary, 'sfeer' does.. and yes this board has lots of it (note to self: got to mention / link it more on my site)

aRtee,

:o

you are of course right, 'sfer' was a typo, it's sfeer, hehe.

getting confused with the two os, three languages ...

And merci for the tip /home (i know, i know, puh), and the master/slave config thing, that did the manufacturer. I opened the pc one time, to install a very complicated package to make from a noisy pc a silent silent one, no i'am not in the mood to re-open this thing ...

on-the-fly copies: i'am a bit 'conservative', like to first write an image (or whatever it is), and then to burn :twisted:

this nasty little file is called '.xsession-errors' (was a typo too) and residates in my /home/anna

if you don't have it, you miss something, for sure.

--anna

I believe if you don't have any X session errors during the time that a user is logged in, then the file ~/.xsessionerrors will not exist. I could be mistaken, though.

Thanks for your response to me, anna, but I do not wish to 'hijack' your thread. hdparm -X69 /dev/hda actually made my disk much slower. I think my controller is not fast enough to accept it. I also probably think that udma3 is the maximum my controller can handle. It is over 2 years old...almost 3. I will soon purchase a PCI ATA card to get the full capabilities of my HD.

I was also going to say that, even when I used KDE, I didn't have very slow loading times (not as slow as you experienced}. I had some slow times, but not as slow as you, so I don't think it is a HD issue. I think those x errors may be the culprit,

Good idea to make copies via the harddisk, this is how I do it too. I just setup scsi emulation for my dvd-rom to have the possibility (hey if it can be done in windows, why not in linux?) and as a nice side effect I found that (unlike before, don't know why) I can now eject my dvds with

eject /dev/scd1

(ejecting the cd-rw drawer already worked, of course that one is also working via scsi emulation).

Steve, think you are right. Meaning: I just don't have any errors. Good for me ;)

Anna, about the master/slave thing: the manufacturer probably wanted to save some money (2 dollars) on the cable (in case you got it with one hd and one cd/dvdrom, this way he only needed to use one cable).

I'm sure this is easy to live with.

In time, you're going to want to do something about the /home though.... ;)

(whatabout just emptying (or reducing in size) your win-d e or f drives and changing that partition type to /ext3, then setting it up for /home, then copy/move all files from your current /home dir to it; most of this you can do with the diskdrake, except for the copying/moving)

Thanks aRTee and Steve for your responses. I see a huge amount of learning the next time.

I'd like to suggest to end the thread here cause its getting a bit off-topic. When I've found out what causes my problem I will post it here in another thread.

--anna

Hi, just wanted to let you know that I finally have a fast running kde :D

After trying reconfig network, sound and some more - I gave up. Installed RedHat 9 - fast, wow. Deleted RH 9 and the old MDK 9.1 - and did a clean reinstall of Mandrake. This time let M. choose: the filesystem, the bootloader, the packages, the services, the partitions ...

Now KDE starts fast, kde apps ~ 1-2 sec.

Thanks a lot for the helping hands here on the board ...

--anna